Bad day at work, Hubby makes a great comment

I work at sears where the managment is sloppy, for anyone who works at the sears in Alaska. Two managers were complaining. However this snarky manager---- Let me just write down the convo.

Manager1: There are only two registers you should be closing down the other two were already done.
Manager2: We can't leave on time because you guys took so long closing down your registers.
Me: We had four registers to count down and verify.
Manage1r: No you only had two.
Me: We had to count down 4 because the earlier employees hadnt, Kevin and I are still pretty new at this. We havent been working the registers station for very long.
Manager2: Well why did it take you thirty minutes? You only have to count to 100, how hard is that?
Kevin: Sorry...
Me: If you guys are so mad about not being on time, why werent any of you out there helping us close down the store? Isn't being a leader part of being on a team? You didnt let us close our registers till 9:15, it didn't take us 30 minutes, actually.

I was actually looking at the group of employees who were all complaining as well as the managers.
Everybodys shift was done at 9:30, everybody clocked off at 9:32.

This is what I said to my husband.

Me: Explained Situation
Hubby: You need to learn how to shut your mouth
Me: Are you kidding me?!
Hubby: Their your managers they can talk to you however they want.
Me: She basically called me stupid by asking how hard it is to count to 100.
Hubby: Still.

What the hell? Was I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• managers need to respect there workers and if my managment was rude or disrespectfull to me id go to HR
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It was MY manager and the HR manager Actuallly... Sadly
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• no way! as long as you werent being snarky back or disrespectful then i think you should absolutely speak your mind. managers are great for dishing out the blame while they were probably in the back screwing off!!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 3:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Your managers' way of trying to get the staff to do their job more efficiently sucks. Most men are problem solvers, so he wasn't going to give you any sympathy for your version of events. If you want sympathy, you should say, I need sympathy, my boss thinks I'm stupid, and maybe he will see THAT as the problem to fix LOL! Is your DH worried about you losing your job? And no, you weren't wrong, you can't let them think that they can talk to you any way they want. Don't lose your self-respect over a job, no matter what the condition of the economy. You teach people how to treat you. But I would have said, I can count to 100, but it's faster with leadership.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 3:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It's not that he's right but, they can make your life harder. Your manager was out of line, but if you are going to continue working there your stuck with them,and their attitude isn't going to improve. It's up to you how much of their lack of good managerial skills your willing to deal with, if your sticking around for awhile I'd avoid conflict, it's not worth it.  There are easier ways to deal with difficult co-workers.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Both women managers... I totally agree.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it might have been best to speak to him/her privately rather than in front of another associate, but no managers cannot talk to you "however they want". If this was the HR person involved as well, you can look into the issues resolution policy that the company may have. A company the size of Sears would need to have one. Perhaps there is an employee website? Was this a floor supervisor or the General Manager of the store?
    Your husband is probably concerned about you getting fired. Besides, men aren't exactly known for their ability to say "awww...baby I'm sorry you had a bad day. Let me hug you"...they want to fix it. Now, I'd probably be pissed at the wording of the "you need to learn to shut your mouth".
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I wish I would have thought about speaking to them privately, but I felt insulted, especially since she had called me out like that in front of other employees, I just said what I felt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Honestly, yes I think you should have kept your mouth shut. You essentially attacked your bosses in front of everyone else. Were the bosses right? No, but two wrongs dont' make a right. And it may not help you keep your job.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:17 PM on May. 12, 2011

• The managers sound terrible! That said. I totally agree with your husband!

Anonymous