How possible would it be for you?

Where you live right now, how likely would you be to survive, provide for your family, and meet everyone's needs if you gave up all of your personal vehicles? Is public transportation or walking an option for everything you do, not just grocery shopping and work, but things like doctor appointments, visiting family, getting kids to activities and other things you need to leave the house to do like runs to the post office or bank? Do you live somewhere you can stay long term, not a military base or student housing set up that's designed for those features, but not for people to stay in them more than a few years? Do you live somewhere with a climate that's conducive to living that way year-round - no risk of extreme cold in winter or extreme heat in summer?

Thinking about those different factors, what percentage of the country do you think could actually give up their vehicles and rely on public transportation to meet their needs, no matter how high gas prices are and no matter how "earth friendly" it might be?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It would be impossible.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Impossible
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:44 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It would not be possible since I live in the suburbs & I could not even walk to public transportation if I wanted too. I think the only places it's possible are large cities. But public transportation is not cheap either.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:44 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Impossible for me. I live on a farm obviously in a rural area. Our hospital, pediatrician, and "town" is around 8-10 miles away from us. In order to go to the grocery store it would require a good 4 mile walk. Next, we dont even have public transportation where I live. We do have a little van that will pick you up if you schedule it way in advance but it is not meant to handle more then 5 or so people. I have 5 kids so, again probably not an option for me.

Answer by gemgem at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I might be possible. We have a bus that has a stop at the beginning of our subdivision. We live near the back though, so we would only be able to buy very little groceries if we had to carry them to the house.

It would monumentally inconvient. You would have to schedule your appointments around the bus schedule and what would take you maybe 1 hour tops might take the whole day. You would also have to work near a bus stop, and what time you have to be there would also depend on the bus schedule...UGH
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2011

• No public anything for me ( There is for those that need it). If need be there is special commuter trains. As far as anything else, there is on line ordering and even grocery delivery if I wish. Surviving without all of that, also have a plan. Self reliant.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 3:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh and to visit family....ummm no couldn't do it. We live about 1 1/2 miles from the bank and the grocery store, but again, it would greatly limit what I bought since I'd have to carry it home.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would not find it difficult at all ~ and I live 7 miles from the nearest teeny town (pop. 247) and 21 miles from the nearest small town, and 33 miles from an actual city. My boys are all grown but there would be room here for them if it became necessary, AND the means to feed them, their spouses, and the grandbabies. We have several means of alternate transportation if we need it, and we're retired, so where we go is by choice. We also have the means (and plans) to open a business from home. We have a well, solar power for most things, wind power is an option, we have a garden, a small orchard, and meat animals (including breeding pairs). To be honest, my single biggest worry would be more canning lids ~ and they are only available locally part of the year anyway.

I'd have to walk 33 miles to GET to the nearest public transportation, so we have long since considered alternatives.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it would be possible but amiricas lazy, no offence to anybody but think about it, no matter how high gas prices are people will still "need" their cars rather it be cause they dont want to walk places or cause they dont like the privacy that public transpertation dosent give them. and amirica you can honestly say one side of the country is to cold to do that, the other side is to hot to do that and right in the middle is both. so I dont think people would do that even if the weather was right or gas prices were over 4 or 5 dollars a callon.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It would be... incredibly difficult. I don't want to say impossible, but if it were just OUR family giving up cars that would be a fairly good word for it. Public transportation is not an option at all. There is no public transportation for miles and miles. There are not safe options - let alone close options - for walking or biking to anything other than houses in our neighborhood.

If NOBODY had cars in some sort of car-pocolypse then the 3 miles to the grocery store would be tough going to start with, but I could use the main roads that are too difficult to travel now, at all. Doctor for kids is only 2 miles, and mine is only 5 miles. Church is 6 miles; we would probably go to a closer church. Assuming all things remained equal, which I doubt they would.

It's not just inconvenient for us to give up cars, it's truly not feasible.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:50 PM on May. 12, 2011