Calories in and out

When you count your calories out how do you do it?

I though you add all your calories for the day and the subtract the amount you burned.

Explam: 1,200 calories but I burned 500 calories total for the day so I really only ate 700 calories? Is that right?

Thank you.

red_head_mommy2

Asked by red_head_mommy2 at 3:52 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• When you exercise for instance in the morning and burn 500 calories that will not be the total count of calories burned because your body will keep on burning calories throughout the day.

Answer by older at 3:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• That's the gist of it. But be aware it's all approximate- don't obsess over calorie counting. Focus more on portions and eating a balanced diet. It's easier to stick with in the long term. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes but at the same time you burn more than the calories burned in exercise. That's what the BMR is. Most of us burn 1300-1700 calories just laying in bed not lifting a finger. But your body also needs proper fuel or it will not just use stored fat but muscle as well, which will only make you weak and feel even worse. On the one group you mentioned your food plan...no more egg WHITES, eat the whole eggs. 2 eggs, yolk and all a day is healthy and wonderful for you, most of the nutrients are in the yolk, so don't be afraid of them, plus I know you sometimes have trouble getting your calories in, well the yolks are one way to boost ya in the healthy range!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:38 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Go to a website like sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.com which will do that figuring for you, but yes that's it in a nutshell. Be careful not to go too low...I was and I wasn't losing weight. I added in a couple snacks on my higher activity days and started losing again.
    Also take into consideration where your calorie burn info is coming from. If it's coming off the TM or elliptical then it's probably wrong and an over estimate but if its from a heart rate monitor it'll be closer to what is right.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Umm kinda. like the other posters said- you do actually burn calories just sitting there. Your body uses calories to keep you warm, keep your blood flowing, etc.

If you want to lose 1 pound a week you'd want to burn about 500 calories MORE than you ate. If it's 2 pounds a week, you'd want to burn about 1000 calories more per day than you ate. You shouldn't go below 1200 calories though.

If you want to maintain weight you'd want your calories in to match the calories out. And if you want to gain weight make sure you are eating more calories than you burn in a day.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:34 PM on May. 13, 2011