Do you remember how much the circumcision procedure cost in the hospital?

Trying to decide if its cheaper to get it done in the doc office or in the hospital. My insurance covers 90% in hospital or I have to only a $25 co-pay in a doc office. im thinking doc office????

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 4:09 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In 2003 Blue Cross/Blue Shield covered 100% of the cost. DSHS's medical coupon would NOT cover the cost, they deemed it an elective surgery. I would have it done in the hospital.

If I EVER have another boy I'll get him circumcised too. I see a lot more health benefits for the boy/man and his partner than drawbacks. No bashing me either; this is MY opinion and MY decision. I'm not bashing anyone who has chosen not to circumcise.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You better call and double check its even covered. Most insurance companies no longer cover it.
    Anonymous

• Anon is right most insurance companies do not cover it any longer, for it is deemed unnecessary by the medical association and this is what insurance companies go by.

Answer by older at 4:16 PM on May. 12, 2011

• We paid for my grandsons in 2006 and it was $300 (not covered by insurance). So if it is $300 it would be 10% being $30 at the hosp. You would save $5 at the dr office.

Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I paid $200 in 2004 for my OB to do DS in the hospital. Insurance didn't touch it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would rather it be done in the hospital then in an office. At the hospital I can be inthe room and I don't have to take my newborn to an extra doctors office. It was sad enough to have to take him to a crowded lab to get a PKU and to the Ped every other day to be weighed. I wouldn't want an extra trip out unless it was going to save me big bucks. I paid $400 in 2008 so if my ins was like yours I would have spent and extra $15 for the convenience of not taking him back out.
    Anonymous

• we paid a couple hundred in the pediatrician's office. our insurance didnt cover it and we were told it would be ridiculously more expensive in the hospital.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 5:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Our insurance doesn't cover it (most don't) it's considered an elective procedure. In 2007 it cost us $300 in the hospital.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:06 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My goodness, I"m assuming most of the posters are American. I'm Canadian and just had my second son done and I thought it was expensive at $175.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Thanks ladies.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 8:37 PM on May. 12, 2011