Do you have problems with this?

Link text

I know some people will say this is a violation of ones freedom and it is but here is what I don't like about it.
First, this is our tax dollars once again going to waste. Grants going to the healthy police is one of the many things we can cut out to lessen our debt in my opinion. It's not a priority right now.
Also, just what are they going to do with this information about what and how much our kids eat? Will they take away the foods the kids eat most of? Not sure just how it's going to make a parent change their kids eating habits. Sure a parent can say "don't get 2 deserts" or" eat your veggies" but we all know our kids are likely to do just the opposite. I doubt home eating habits will be changed to make up for the trash they serve at schools.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:56 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• waste
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• your right about the TRASH they serve the kids at school. YUCK.....
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 5:01 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it would be better to take the govt out of the lunchroom altogether and let the parents send a lunch. My kids never eat in the cafeteria because they serve junk...junk I don't serve at home.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it is a complete waste of money and very scary too! You can serve kids the healthiest food in the world, but you can not make them eat it, especially at school. You can pack healthy food for them, but there is no guarantee that it won't be traded away or even tossed away.

It's one meal out of the day. Sure, they can do much better with school lunches, but if the kids aren't going to eat it, it's a big waste.

I think a HUGE part of the childhood obesity is lack of play. Kids used to have recess and run around. They'd go home after school and run around and play outside. Now they go home and watch TV or play video games.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:30 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Obesity is about personal responsibility.. Obese kids? Look at the parents... Not their lunches. Kids won't change their habits when their parents are the ones who coddled, encouraged, and allowed the habits to begin with. So what if the school is going to monitor? This won't do anything if the parents won't CHANGE their behavior... Nanny government... Death of common sense..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would be curious to know, of the obese children.... How many have obese parents???....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think a HUGE part of the childhood obesity is lack of play. Kids used to have recess and run around. They'd go home after school and run around and play outside. Now they go home and watch TV or play video games.

You nailed it. I have seen that for a long time. My son was not allowed video games and he is skinny and athletic.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:02 PM on May. 12, 2011

Which comes back to the PARENTS..... My kids LOVE video games... But they are only allowed 60 minutes of Wii or Kinect A WEEK... We have a log sheet next to tv and it's on their responsibility chart.... But, take Sat. for example... My kids went outside at 10 AM/ played/decorated the deck for a cookout/played some more... Didn't come back in till after the smores... We can't say don't come in till dark here, because sunset is 11PM!!! But they will play outside (bikes, basketball, sidewalk chalk, soccer ball, golf, etc) ALL day... Only when it rains or snows does it get near difficult, but then, WE as parents take them ice skating ($3.00/kid), sledding, rec center. It comes down to the PARENT!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Sure a parent can say "don't get 2 deserts" or" eat your veggies" but we all know our kids are likely to do just the opposite. I doubt home eating habits will be changed to make up for the trash they serve at schools.

-----------------------------------------
    THis only happens when parents are not in charge of their kids.
    Obesity IS an epidemic.This problem starts at home with parents not caring what their kids do because it takes too much effort to train them right.
    SOmebody has to help with the obesity epidemic...parents don't care. Have you SEEN the hugely obese families? Parents and kids all morbidly obese,with snacks and calorie filled drinks in their hands? They are everywhere.At home they serve hige portions of packaged foods and fried foods and sugary desserts. Its nauseating. We need to educate parents. and everyone. But ...do they read?
    If schools will serve healthy food, that is a good start
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• There are FREE fun runs for kids ALL over the nation..... Schools aren't going to make the kids participate.. Schools aren't going to drive the kids to the event. PARENTS..... Good start or not.... It will mean NOTHING, if parents don't change THEIR behavior...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:14 PM on May. 12, 2011