what formula do you recommend? help!

what formula would you recommend i switch my 2 month old who's been breastfeeding to? he has tried enfamil lipil and similac before and threw them both up when he was around 1 month old. i caught a stomach virus last night and have no milk left in my breasts at all! we're ready to start switching him over but his stomach is so sensitive. please let me know what's worked for you!

princess021

Asked by princess021 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can still breastfeed!! It's possible to get your milk back. Keep drinking lotsss of water and pump every couple hours for ten minutes on each side EVEN if milk isnt coming out. The stimulation will tell your body to make more milk!!! Breastmilk is what your baby NEEDS. He is too young for nasty formula and if his belly is sensitive anyways then he especially needs your BM.
    Anonymous

• * WELL HOW LONG DID YOU KEEP HIM ON THE FORMULA? USUALLY YOU SHOULD KEEP HIM ON ONE FORMUAL FOR ABOUT 1 -2 WEEKS TO SEE IF HE CAN GET USE TO IT.. IF REAGULAR FORMULA DOESNT WORK THEN I WOLD DEFINELTY DO A SENTISITVE KIND.. I HAVE MY DAUGHTER ON SIMILA ISOMIL..ITS A SOY BASED FORULA.. I HAD TO SWITCHED HER FORMULA 3 TIMES.. HOPE THIS HELPS..
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 7:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• similac makes a sensative tummy brand try that one if you cant find it try a soy formula. Formula fed babies to puke here and there though its pretty common so you may find he spits up anyway regardless of formula as long as hes not spitting up tones like as if hes vomitting your ok. my son was a spit up baby he even spit up breastmilk.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I dried up and went to similac, then swtiched to nestles good start. then he was having problems and we switched to soy. ended up screwing his system up so badly he was so full of gas and having digestive problems. Put him on Nutramigen. After his system calmed down, like 5 -6 weeks, I began mixing in soy formula with the Nutramigen. Because as I learned, abruptly switching formula is terrible rough on their sensitive systems. So what we did to ween him off the nutramigen was mix it.....mix 4 cups of water with the 16 scoops of formula. Day one put one scoop of the new formula in with the 15 scoops of Nutramigen. Then each day change by one scoop of formula in the direction you are heading. Plus then by mixing 4 cups at a time, you have your bottles filled for a 24 hour period, roughly.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Then after my son was fine on just soy, we began to add milk based formula in, the same way. Making a slow switch. This was the best thing I learned as a new mother.....slowly introduce the formula!! My baby is about 17 weeks and is now on Lipil milk based formula and is fine. Next baby we will know!! Good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Isomil works great I love it

http://abbottnutrition.com/products/products.aspx?pid=236

Anonymous

• a stomach virus doesn't dry up your milk. you may not notice it, but the milk is still there. if you can hear him swallowing & he's making dirty diapers, then you're still making milk. there is no good formula. they all contain harmful ingredients. now we even know that american formulas are contaminated with melamine. so don't give it to your baby if you absolutely don't have to. i would recommend donated breastmilk. nothing will be easier on him or better for him than that. talk to a lactation consultant first.
    Anonymous

• well i know it's not the virus that's dried up the milk it's the fact that i've thrown up everything that i've eaten including water and all fluids. so i have no nutrition and i don't hear him swallowing like normal. he's definitely not getting milk i'm sure.
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I use Similac Advance with Early Shield. It is most like mother's milk. My first two had to be on soy formula, but my third one does well with this. Remember, you need to keep your child on a particular type for longer than one day. He will throw up quiet a bit if you keep changing it on him.
    LoneStarLadie

Answer by LoneStarLadie at 7:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Don't give up breastfeeding. Just supliment!
    Anonymous