Does anyone know how to stop a dog from digging?

We've put his poo in the holes, we have put amonia in the holes, we have put cayenne pepper in the holes....we have even put chicken coop wiring down and covered it with dirt and he's dug it up. HELP!

meleasmom

Asked by meleasmom at 7:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pets

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Shock collar.

Anonymous

• That's what someone else told me too. Have you used one before?
    meleasmom

Answer by meleasmom at 7:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My dad has and that's how he has trained a lot of his dogs. He didn't have to use it but a few times and it solved the problem real quick. The dog will normally yelp but they will stop whatever they are doing.
    Anonymous

• You've already tried what I would recommend, a shock collar might be your next best bet. Good luck to ya!
    bcarmona

Answer by bcarmona at 7:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Don't use ammonia, it smells like cat pee and most dogs LOVE cat pee (and poop, too!). Use chlorine bleach or cider vinegar, but I think the bleach would work better and last longer in an outdoors setting. The pet store has some stuff to stop them digging and chewing, but it's pretty expensive. I think the earlier suggestions here are good. Shock collar.
    Anonymous

• does the shock collor hurt them alot ??
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Shock collars are great for training a dog that won't learn. They sound cruel, but are not if they are used correctly.
    You can get one that has different settings on it, from little poke to bigger poke.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• As mentioned before, a shock collar is an option, but if you are not comfortable you can do more harm than good (mentally not physically). You must be quick to use it or the dog will get confused with what you are expecting of him. I have seen a few dogs that are nervous wrecks b/c of shock collars used incorrectly. We have always recommended designating a place for your dog to dig. If you can set up some sort of "sand box" for your dog it might help. Bury things that your dog would like (bones, toys, etc). You may have to use both methods until he understands where it's acceptable to dig and where it's not.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 11:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2008