Did you have to take the glucose test if you had good blood pressure and perfect sugar levels?

mamawilbur

Asked by mamawilbur at 5:37 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• everyone has to take the glucose test while preggers
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Your Dr. will want you to because even though you've been fine doesn't mean that it can't become a problem. I on the other hand did not take it 2 out of 4 pregnancies because the glucose drink made me sick.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 5:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I was with a midwife and had a finger prick, but no glucose test--no yucky stuff to drink. When I was admitted to the hospital at 39 weeks, the finger prick results were good enough for their records, and they didn't need to heel prick my son, like they would have done if I hadn't any test done.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I still had to- it's not bad at all. You drink some sweet flavored beverage, wait an hour (bring a book!) and get your blood taken. If everything's fine you don't have to go back for the three hour test.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• oh ok
    mamawilbur

Comment by mamawilbur (original poster) at 5:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• everyone has and its horrible lol
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 5:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• NO! Like I said above, NOT EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE IT! You do have input about what tests you take while pregnant!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:46 PM on May. 12, 2011

• ok ty
    mamawilbur

Comment by mamawilbur (original poster) at 5:46 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I had it with my first and second pregnancies, both with OB's but not with my third, with a midwife. Some care providers are more 'test-happy' than others.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 5:50 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You can choose not to take the test, but it is an important one because if you have gestational diabeits and dont know it then the baby has to be weaned off sugar after birth...why take the chance. I know this because i used to work in the NICU. The test is not that bad...ive done it 4 times. I did not do every test my OB requested, for example the test they do for Down Syndrome because it would not make a difference to me. I have a son with Down Syndrome and i love him dearly.
    Anonymous