Can someone help me save some money on groceries

what tips do you have ? coupons? i live in phoenix
Thank you so much

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 5:45 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• coupons and shopping sales with coupons

www.hip2save.com
    www.coupons.com
    www.redplum.com
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I buy store brand as much as possible
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Our grocery bill went down after I started doing a mini menu. I picked a meat for each day of the week and that's what we stick to...wednesday is pasta day so I have my choice, I also put the option of having breakfast for dinner... the best advice I can give is try it for two weeks and see how much money you save. We have potatoes with every dinner, a vegetable, and I usually do biscuits from scratch. I had a friend that lived in Phoenix, so if you are really serious about saving money I'll talk to her and see what she did. She lived on unemployment before finally moving back to Ohio.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:50 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Menu ahead, it saves me loads of money. i went from $200 a week to $80 on grocerys just doing a menu ahead of time
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 5:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Avoid junk food, ie chips candy soda cakes cookies ... No real food value or nutrition . The less expensive items are at the lower level where you cant see them.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 5:53 PM on May. 12, 2011

• i also do a menu ahead, and it does save a lot of money. yesterday i spent $64 at the grocery store for one week for a family of 5. i also use coupons and look for deals/sales, and get as much generic items as possible.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Meal plan based on the sales. STICK TO YOUR LIST. Search for coupons for sale items.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I plan ahead. First look at sales and find coupons to match up on sale items. Then write up a shopping list and stick with it. I am getting ready right now to make a grocery trip this evening! With all the coupons I stack up it usually takes me and an hour or 2.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on May. 12, 2011