The Messiah in Judaism

I was wondering a few things. When your messiah comes back is he suppose to be G-ds son like in the christian bible or just a man and what is he suppose to do that Jesus did not?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 6:00 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• For us Jews the Messiah has never arrived, so he's not "coming back", he's just coming. The Messiah is 100% a human being, not the son of G-d, no born from a virgin and he's supposed to achieve his goals when he arrives. The "second coming" is a completely foreign concept in Judaism.

Here's a good article on why Jews don't believe in Jesus

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:53 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Our messiah, or mashiah, has not yet come. No the messiah will be the son of man and a descendent of King David.

from jewfaq.org: The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days. The word "mashiach" does not mean "savior." The notion of an innocent, divine or semi-divine being who will sacrifice himself to save us from the consequences of our own sins is a purely Christian concept that has no basis in Jewish thought. Unfortunately, this Christian concept has become so deeply ingrained in the English word "messiah" that this English word can no longer be used to refer to the Jewish concept.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:19 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I'm not Jewish, but I have read a little about this. He would be a man if I'm not mistaken.

This is a very comprehensive table I've found showing the Jewish and Christian perspectives on why Jesus did or did not meet the requirements of the Messiah. There's also a list of suggested reading to look into it further. Basically Jesus didn't meet the requirements, and they do not believe he will fulfill them at the second coming--or that saying he will doesn't mean he met the requirements.

Is Jesus the Messiah?

Here's another Q&A from a Rabbi on about.com

Why did the majority of the Jewish world reject Jesus as the Messiah, and why did the first Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah?

I'll see if I have any other links saved.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Here's another link I saved:

Jewish View of Jesus

"According to Jewish scripture and belief, the true Messiah (pronounced "moshiach" in Hebrew) must meet the following requirements. He must:

* Be an observant Jewish man descended from the house of King David
    * Be an ordinary human being (as opposed to the Son of God)
    * Bring peace to the world
    * Gather all Jews back into Israel
    * Rebuild the ancient Temple in Jerusalem
    * Unite humanity in the worship of the Jewish God and Torah observance"
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

• From what I understand from my step mother and from what I have read of the OT it is very clear that he is to be an actual King and of human blood. This is the reason I do not believe in Jesus as the messiah. It clearly states what the messiah is to be yet it gets twisted.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:43 PM on May. 12, 2011

• @ momto2boys973 can i ask you about the red cow? lol okay i don't know how true this is but to rebuild the temple their needs to be a spotless red heifer right? Now in Israel isn't their a cow in waiting? I know this is off subject but when this heifer is ready is that kind o a sign that your messiah is going to come maybe? Sorry if i don't make sense but i really don't get the fullness of it?

whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 8:16 PM on May. 13, 2011

• The Jews do not believe He has come yet... the first poster mentioned that but it is written all over the word of God who He is and that He already came and will come again.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:32 PM on May. 12, 2011