When did you move your kiddo to a big boy/girl/toddler bed from the crib?

My son will be 2 in August and isn't climbing or anything so I really want to keep him in his crib, that was until last night when he caught his legs in the bars and was freaking out. It's only happened the one time and we don't use bumpers or anything so he has nothing blocking the bars. So when did you move your kiddo? I moved my girls early because with the first I needed the crib for the 2nd and with the 2nd we got a great deal on a toddler bed and she wanted to (around 20 months). The girls are 2 years apart and anything big sis does, little sis wants to do too. :)

So anyhow, when and why did you move yours?

Jackie1081

Asked by Jackie1081 at 6:11 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• usually around 18 months or so we switch to the day bed style with the crib but a toddler bed is much easier for them to get in and out of. We have had no problems moving them over, my 9 month old loves to get into her big brothers toddler bed and big sisters twin bed. We will get her a toddler bed or get bunk beds for the girls in a year or so.
    millerx5

Answer by millerx5 at 3:09 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I put my oldest into a toddler bed at 11 months just because I couldn't wait too lol. She stayed in the toddler bed until we needed it for my youngest so she was about 4 or a little over when she got into a single bed. My youngest I put into a toddler bed at 14 months old she was and still is at 3 years a climber. She stayed in it until she was about 2 or 2.5 then we got her a single bed. This baby that is due in 3 months since it may be our last I am going to try to keep in a crib as long as possible and a toddler bed as long as possible lol. This crib turns into a toddler bed and a full bed to wear the other crib didn't
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:19 PM on May. 12, 2011

• He was about 9 months old the day he started trying to climb out. So we switched him a single bed. We only removed the frame so he wouldnt fall off. We have never had an issue
    TheSugarComa

Answer by TheSugarComa at 7:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My DD moved at 18 mos, for she got stuck in the bars too. Honestly, I loved the bed much better than the crib. My DS will be one next week, and I will be moving him soon. He's a big boy anyway (27 lbs). We are taking down the crib this weekend, for he hates sleeping in it anyway. He's been in my bed, so I'll be trying to get him out of my bed, when we get the new bunk beds in for both kids. DD will be on top, and DS on the bottom. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:20 AM on May. 13, 2011

• She was 22 months when we moved her into a real bed. It wasn't that bad actually, we moved her and she was more than ready for it. she has only fallen out 2 times
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• 15 months is when my DS was moved. We got a really cool car bed from a family member. He didn't have an issue with it at all.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 9:48 AM on May. 13, 2011

• we ended up co sleeping and only used the crib for nap times if at all.. i switched to toddler at age 14mnths. then by 2 she had a twin sized bed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:41 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My daughter is five years old and she went right from the baskinet to my bed! Everyone once in a while (mostly during nap time) she would sleep in her crib. She slept in it more often when I converted it to a toddler bed, but mostly she has slept with me. Now she is starting kindergarden and I am trying to full transition her to her big girl room and bed. Wish me luck!
    FairahsMommy

Answer by FairahsMommy at 11:48 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My son finally made the move from his crib to a big boy bed when he was around 2 1/2. He started climbing out of his crib at a VERY early age, and we didn't feel safe having him in a big bed (or even toddler bed) yet, so we used a "crib tent" on his crib to keep him from crawling out. Then when we felt he was ready, he didn't want to make the change, I think because the big bed felt too "open" to him. Once we figured that out, we got him a bed tent to go over his bed and he loved it.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 1:03 PM on May. 13, 2011

• My 5 year old went in to a toddler bed at 2 years old. Our 2 year old just went from a crib to a bunk bed with his older brother this past winter.
    Wiccangirl24

Answer by Wiccangirl24 at 1:39 PM on May. 13, 2011