Bleaching hair?

My natural hair color is very dark brown and its rather coarse for white girl hair. I've been trying to bleach my hair slowly w box Loreal-type hair lightening systems, but the lightening doesn't last long, it damages the crap out of my hair, and it is NEVER as light as I want, which is a 'very light ash'. It always ends up almost strawberry blonde on the roots w my desired color more on the length (& that's keeping the bleach on for the recommended time). I use the lightener every 6 weeks and usually a Champagne blonde or equivilant; its coming up to my 6 week mark but I really want to skip my routine and go for a mix like the 'blue prism' stuff you buy @ Sally's...I'm just scared I'm going to ruin it or fry my hair off my head. What's people consensus on this method of @ home bleaching? My hair currently goes from a reddish/copper/light yellow blonde to almost platinum blonde on the length...I know that's a sign I'm not putting in on long enough, but I'm following the bos directions 100%.

nappeal

Asked by nappeal at 6:25 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Slow your roll Mary,, LOL! I am a hairstylist and this is a BAD idea to do yourself,, I call people who want blonde from very dark, my hobbies,,lol! If you want it blonde,, please please visit a professional,, if not your going to end up looking like a pumpkin!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:58 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Well, to be honest- at this point you may want to go to a professional- since some of your hair is already very light and some is not. Be aware if you try to bleach it anymore on your own...you are probably going to regret it
    *I graduated cosmetology school
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:53 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I have to agree with kimigogo. I am a brunette that hasn't seen her whole head it's natural color in years! LOL! In order to get an even blond, it is a work in progress. Mine is very hard to lift. Even if you go to a salon, you have to go to someone that really knows their stuff. Otherwise, you will wind up with some brassiness, which I absolutely hate! It takes time to get your hair one color without the damage. Please don't further bleach your hair yourself... Once it gets to a stage of sponginess, there might not be any other solution other than cutting off your hair.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

• my hair is dark brown. i bleached it blond by using the bleach powder and the liquid that you mix together. they will tell you which shade you need. after i put the bleach on there, i used a box blonde on top of it, i didn't like that color so i got another box color to put on top of that and i ended up with the platinum blond i wanted. yes, i did this all in one night. eventually my hair became very unhealthy so i dyed it back brown and cut most of it off. a good portion of the hair that was blond is still in my head. my hair was still very unhealthy after i cut it. now i use the entire It's A 10 haircare line (shampoo, conditioner, hair mask((twice a week)) shine spray, leave in conditioner) i also use a heat protectant (turn up the heat by Beyond zone) that you can buy at sally's. my hair now (including the portion that was bleached) is now extremely healthy. if you bleach your hair and use this product, you should be fine.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:53 PM on May. 12, 2011

• this is a BAD idea to do yourself

LOL I knew that's what I'd hear!  My hair just looks dreadful now that it's grown out and @ this point & I'm too broke for a stylist right now.  Maybe I'll stick w my LOreal dye LOL

nappeal

Comment by nappeal (original poster) at 10:22 AM on May. 13, 2011

• ok first mistake....using the box stuff from stores such as walmart. its cheapo and wont do what u want also damage to your hair. second mistake...bleaching it over and over. tears your hair up. exspecially if its already dry and course. its hair suicide id go to a salon and ask what to do to get back to healthy hair b4 it all falls out. color wont make it fall out. that is color from the salon, but bleach will.
    MeehlingMommi23

Answer by MeehlingMommi23 at 1:56 AM on May. 16, 2011