Son not eating

My son is almost 15 months old. He was always such a great eater and in the higher percentiles for his weight. At about 12 months old he started getting more and more picky about his food. He stopped gaining weight and now he has lost 1/10 of a pound. I get lucky if I can get him to eat a pack of fruit snacks. He REFUSES to eat and the doctor said I should not force feed him (I semi agree). He hates meat and is now to the point where he won't even swallow cheese. He will chew on it for hours!! He loves clementines and bananas and is still very hydrated (whole milk and water). I am concerned and VERY frustrated. We waste so much food trying to feed him but I refuse to give up. I don't know what is going on with him. He cries and cries when I even get food out. I have always made eating a positive experience for him and have given him no reason to think otherwise. Has anyone gone through this? I am just in tears at this point. I just want my son to be healthy. The doctor is concerned as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, my first thought is to limit the amount of milk that you give him. Milk is very filling, and may be supressing his appitite. I agree that you should not force feed him. Just be sure to offer several small meals a day. If he does not want to eat, fine. Just don't let him fill up junk food. He will eat again, trust me. I have 3 boys and all of them have gone through this phase.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 6:58 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Both of my boys went through this and most toddlers go through this at 15-18 months. They can be very very picky eaters just praise when he does eat and offer what he will eat that's what I did. Even if it was chicken nuggets everyday all day long lol.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:28 AM on May. 13, 2011