The "just yell and don't get off your a$$ to make your kid behave" mom

My cousin invited her BFF along with us today on our girls day out. She has 2 kids,a 15 month old and an almost 4 year old,both girls. I was getting SOOO annoyed at the older one. She kept wandering off and picking stuff up and asking for things and the mom just yelled at her and didn't make her behave. You could tell this was the norm. I had to watch over her because she almost ran out the door at 2 places! At Subway she just went into the cooler and grabbed a juice and was about to open it. I was like,'umm,is your mom going to buy that?" The mom was just doing her shopping and the child wandered around an aisle or 2 away from her. I couldn't do MY shopping because i was looking out for HER kid!
I see WAY too many moms like this. Have any similar stories?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:34 PM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have seen this kind of parenting and it's annoying.,.... not as annoying as parents who completely ignore their child's bad behavior.

In Target the mother behind me in line allowed her 6 year old (approximately) and his friend crawl all over the FILTHY ground and roll around for at least 10 minutes without even LOOKING at them or saying a word.
    Another woman let her daughter follow her around a (small) grocery store fake-crying and sobbing.
    I wanted to tell her to DO SOMETHING FOR F**KS SAKE!!!!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 3:52 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I posted about it the other day. We had a softball game Monday night and my dd was playing. There was a set of parents sitting just above us. They had twin boys. The boys were running around playing which itself was fine, thats what all the kids do. Anyway the park and rec center is remodeling and put these jagged rocks at the bottom of the hill where the parents sit. The boys were rolling down the hill. Mom kept yelling for them to stop. Dad started yelling at them too. They were maybe at most 10 ft from the boys and just yelled and yelled for them to stop that. My husband finally told them to get up and get them and stop yelling.

Answer by gemgem at 6:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Amanda..I'm right with you. There are days I'm exhausted and I know that if I can just get their attention BY YELLING out the window they will stop. On those days I don't care what people think of me...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh gosh, I feel ya! I've seen this happen too many times! And yes, I do think it's way annoying to see the Mom just yells to get their attention when they can just take the child outta the store. Give us all a break! lol. I've found myself biting my tougue to not say anything to the Mom! No, instead I just watch her children as if they're my OWN! What a joke! (sorry, but these are the kids that will be our future?!) yikes! Shame on the Mom or Dad!! :o(
    MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 6:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I hate to admit it but I can be one of those mom's. Not my best moment. But today I was one of those mom's. I'm spent, have no energy left and still so much to do. Today really caught up to me. My kids were out playing with the neighbourhood kids and when I saw them doing something they shouldn't I yelled.
    I've witnessed the mom's who yell at their kids and do nothing really, I've also been really annoyed at the mom's who ignore their kids behaviour. wonder which is worse, yelling to acknowledge the kids poor behaviour or just ignoring it exists all together.....
    On days like today when things really stink I say to myself I'll try to be more understanding the next time I see a parent like that. Usually never do though.......
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 6:50 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My sister is like that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:01 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Its one thing too it once in a while and if they are just playing in the yard or sumthin, but in a store where they can get kidnapped or wherw what they,are doing can get them really hurt or killed, its a problem.

I was at the health department one day, and I had to stop some 2or3 year old from running outside and intothe steet. The mom didn't say anything to me and just yelled at her kid lil "dont do that" and just sat there, kid tried it a couple times but stopped when thw mom said her name and ran around...god I wanted to slap that mom
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 10:06 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes. We have a friend with a mean little 4 year old. When we visit them her 4 year old bullies my 3 year old and does whatever she wants. Her mom wont get up to stop her and really doesnt even notice. We dont go over there much anymore, but I found it very effective to look at her pointedly and then stop her child from doing whatever she was doing. I would hold her hand and say "I dont think thats very nice, I dont think your Mommy would want you to do that. Please stop. That is bad." I also would make a point to announce to the child if what she was doing was going to hurt her. Sometimes her mom would take the hint and pat atttention....sometimes.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:47 AM on May. 13, 2011