John McCain statements on Waterboarding,torture,etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/12/john-mccain-torture-_n_861089.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C62644

Video and text from McCain's statements. I must say this makes me respect him more. He is experienced in what it is like to be a POW and expert on torture. After reading this,watching the video, how do you feel?

minnesotanice

Asked by minnesotanice at 6:50 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It has been known for a long time that torture/waterboarding is ineffective and is more likely to send intelligence experts off on wild goose chases than reveal any trurhs - as well as violating human rights and constituting a war crimes offence under international law . McCain is quite right on this issue and is to be applauded for taking a stance which will not go down well with torture zealots on the extreme right .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:11 PM on May. 12, 2011

• After McCain spent 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW being tortured to the point of death, he can have any opinion he wants. He has earned that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Now Bin Laden you have nothing to worry about, we are just going to put a bullet in your head.

But be happy, at least we are not going to water-board you.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Same as I did before. I have never agreed with McCain 100%, still dont. He is no different then any other politician in my book, they are just people with opinions like we have.

I agree with gem 100%
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd like to know with moms who disagree with him on what basis they're doing so. Do they think they know and understand torture better than a POW?
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 7:33 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Carpy, iit is only in recent times that torture has become an indictable offence as a war crime and sadly, their is still no reliable system of bringing many suspects to justice .

Tell that to the Nazi's and Japanese who were convicted. But NOT of waterboarding.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:57 PM on May. 12, 2011

• thank you water torture while being very wrong does not result in death and especially in the thousands like the nazi's and the jews i can't beileve that that was even compared together. they were not trying to get information they were just straight killing.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

Answer by gemgem at 6:51 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I see someone's a fan of torture. No problem, that's my specialty. *zips up leather boots and grabs sjambok*
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 7:07 PM on May. 12, 2011

• And I also agree with his feelings that we look just as bad as our enemies when we approve of torture. I don't know.

Did we start lobbing off heads and sticking them on poles?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2011