Tips on money saving, please!

Hey ladies! I just moved from a 900 sq ft apartment to a 1600 sq ft HOUSE! We've been here for a week, but I am sort of freaking about what the power bill will look like, LOL. I know there are a million groups on here, but can anyone point out a good one on how to save money on household bills and such! Or I would love ANY tips too! Thanks!

momofana82

Asked by momofana82 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/54567
    This group has some excellent ideas on saving money, not only on electricity but also in other areas.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• To help with your electric, switch to the energy efficient bulbs...they use about 1/4 of the electricity of regular bulbs and they last a lot longer. Keep your TV/VCR/DVD set up on a power strip and turn it off when you're not using it...anything that is plugged in will continue to suck electricity. Best of luck!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• We did an experiment to see what was making the usage meter outside the house spin so fast, so we went an unplugged everything, but it was still spinning rather fast, it turns out it was the water heater. If you don't have an energy efficent water heater, I would suggest only turning it on like 15 mins prior to needing it. You would save a descent amount doing that.
    Anonymous

• Make sure you turn off lights/TV's/radios and everything when you leave the room. Unplug appliances (toaster, blender, etc) when not in use. Use energy efficient light bulbs. Run dish washers, washing machines, and dryers at night. Turn off your computer when you're not using it...don't just put it to sleep! Hmmm...I'm sure there are more...good luck!!!
    mamaoftwins9197

Answer by mamaoftwins9197 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh, the anon post reminded me...even if your water heater is energy efficient, you can turn down the setting to about 120-125. Your water is still hot enough, but you're not wasting more money getting/keeping it hotter than what you use.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008