What do I need to help thees continue to grow?

My husband bought my son this little started kit to grow veggies and they came with the seeds and thees 4 little brown cups to plan them in. I think the cups are made out of some type of soil or somthing cause I think you can just put them in a bigger pot like that when they start getting bigger. Has anyone heard or seen thees? So i need to know what kind of planting soil to use and if I can just put the plants in the pot like that or should I cut them out of what there currently growing in? The little brown soft cups there in have a hole in the bottom so Im assuming that will allow roots to grow into new soil and a new pot without having to take them out of that thing.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:22 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• you can buy potting soil, with fertilizer in it. it also helps retain some moisture, so the plants don't dry out as quickly. the organic containers: cut or tear the bottom off, and slice down the side of the 'pot' so you can loosen the soil/root.and replant the pot/plant into a bigger pot, as needed. it will eventually mix into the potting soil. right now, you'll probably only need a 4-6'' pot (diameter)..i'm guessing, if you're talking about the little kiddie plants i've seen. of course, you could go gangbusters and put it in a 8-10" pot. put it near a sunny window and don't overwater!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• wait, i just reread your post. you're working with seeds..not plants. ok. so yeah, get some potting soil. fill the cup 2/3s full, plant the seed, and cover with more soil. you can put these 4 pots on a sunny window sill, or in a pan or low-sided pot/bowl, to contain the water that might spill or soak through the pot when you water. as the plant grows bigger, THEN you can transplant the organic pot/plant the way i described.

sorry for the mix-up,
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• dullscissors.... I have already planted the seeds and they are now plants or have leaves growing, I think the veggies will take quit some time to grow but the plant is already 4 plus inches high thats why I need to buy pots for them and add soil cause its getting pretty low in those little things. Sorry Im so clueless when it comes to this stuff lol. I would post a pic of the thing there in but I dont know how to post one. Do you know?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 8:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I can't help you, I'm pretty clueless myself, but I've heard Miracle Grow potting soil is good.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:25 AM on May. 13, 2011

• potting soil
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:18 AM on May. 13, 2011

• They are called pete pots, and yes you can just get a bigger container and place them in it with potting soil. I love Miracle Grow potting soil. You don't have to put the pete pot in the new container, you can turn the plant out in your hand roots and all and then repot too. Happy gardening.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:21 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Why not just plant them directly outside?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:42 PM on May. 13, 2011

• no idea
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:41 PM on May. 13, 2011