Vegetarians..

For 7 months (sometime back) I ate no meat what so ever. I have always eaten meat, and found I did not miss it at all. In the beginning, I felt great. But after 4 or so months, I started to feel bad. Hard to explain, but my body felt it was missing something. I ate lots of meat substitutes each day, to get the protein. I started eating meat again, and did feel better, but I don't like to eat it. I am thinking of cutting it out again, but what supplements would I need to take to feel good? Appreciate any advice!

AngieBry

Asked by AngieBry at 7:36 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• Look into proper supplements for not only protein, but also B vitamins, iron, etc. if you want to cut meat out again. You have to be careful when you're a vegetarian (or especially vegan), and really do your research. You really can't just decide, "Ok, no more meat, so I'm going to eat a bunch of meat substitutes and vegetables." I'm not saying that's what you did, but one of my friends did and she ended up going to the ER because her iron levels were low and she wasn't getting enough B vitamins and protein, either.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:46 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Maybe instead of cutting it out completely, don't eat it but once or twice a week.

We are all veggie in the house (though DH and the kids will eat kosher meat out at someone's house or kosher restaurant.) We don't eat a lot of meat substitutes like tofu or fake meat. We eat a lot of beans and other things with proteins. That might help as well. I have never felt unwell from a lack of meat, but everyone is different. I know that DH does crave the animal protein at times.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:40 PM on May. 12, 2011