Has anyone lost or had their social security card stolen?

I just had my wallet stolen and happened to have my kids and I social security cards in there. I googled, but the SSA website says nothing about reporting it stolen or anything (just how to replace it). So, are you just kind of screwed if your card goes missing and someone decides to use your SSN? Can I get a credit report on my kid's SSN's? This totally sucks, especially when I'm not in the U.S. =( Sorry if my grammar sucks, I'm just really upset right now.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 7:45 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• mine was stolen from my moms purse when i was 14 and she didn't bother to tell me til i was 20 and trying to get PA. just go to the social security office and they'll send you new ones
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:46 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My sister had her wallet stolen with both her and my niece's SS cards. She had to put a hold on the numbers and cancel the rest of the stuff. I'm not sure how in depth the process of putting a hold on them is, so I would just go to the SS office like momofone725 said.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 7:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It's easy enough to get it replaced. I had mine stolen 20 years ago. Nothing ever happened as far as my SS# went. The thief wanted the wallet, that's all. I'm sure they were disappointed with what was in it. My driver's license was eventually found in a dumpster, but never the SS card. I still check my credit report often, but it's been fine all these years.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:11 AM on May. 13, 2011

• call the social security office and let them know that all your personal items were stolen and they will replace them for you; most times people who steal the wallets are after money and credit cards also contact the DMV and let them know; it doesn't hurt to contact the credit card companies and everyone else just to let them know everything was stolen and they will take the necessary steps
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011