Worst country to be a woman?

Alarming study results released today show that the horrors of rape in the central-African nation of Congo are even worse than previously thought: Latest reports are that 1,152 women are raped every day, a rate equal to 48 per hour. This is 26 times more than the previous estimate by the United Nations.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/study-48-women-raped-every-hour-congo?GT1=38002

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:46 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not even certain how one would begin to objectively quantify which country women had it the worst in. But I am very, very glad that I am a woman in North America and not most other places in the world. We may not have full equality even here, but that's a molehill beside the mountain of abuse and abasement women suffer around the world.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 8:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I just read something today about young girls in Kenya. It said that male family members will give a young girl (like 10) a beaded neckalace then he will come rape her. And she is not supposed to get pregnant. if she does get pregnant they give her a crude abortion, or let her have the baby and either kill it or give it away. When she gets old enough she is supposed to go outside the village and marry someone. But if she keeps her baby she is not allowed to get married. It really is sad... It pisses me off that we have things like this going on in our world and people are throwing a fit because they don't beleive where the president was born.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Aww that's sad whatever the number.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:59 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Worst country to be a woman? Sounds like Congo ranks up there!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:58 AM on May. 13, 2011

• That's awful! I can't imagine.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:03 PM on May. 12, 2011