Could a big purse work as a diaper bag?

I am pregnant with my first baby and was looking into what all I need to get. I have a big purse I'd love to use as my diaper bag - but it doesn't have the little straps and pockets for bottles and stuff.

How important is all that stuff? Do you use a purse or a "real" diaper bag?

Thanks!

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 8:36 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always just used a big purse...I've never owned a real diaper bag. Vera Bradley has some nice big totes that often go on sale on the web site and they have lots of pockets in them...perfect for a diaper bag!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:37 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Honestly, it all matters on your taste and what you are comfortable with. As far as the extra pockets and things that diaper bags have...no they are not necessary. But if you intend on carrying bottles that are filled then I would just store them in a plastic zip lock bag or something because you don't want to risk the thought of spills. Congratulations!
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2011

• i had two diaper bags. but when she got to be a toddler i switched because it didn;t seem like i neede as much. but sometimes big purses do work. you really do not need that many pockets if you use little ziplock bags ect. there are ways around getting a diaper bag. if its big enough for diapers, whippees, formula(if you are using this)clothes, binkie blanket, bottles, sanitzier,ect and your stuff. then go for it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It's a good idea to have an extra bottle, change of clothes, some wipes, and diapers. If you can fit it in a big purse I say go for it. The important thing is to have them.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Ive used both, when they are younger though it may be easier to have a diaper bag if your going to be out and about alot and visiting alot as you may find all the litttle compartments and zips useful, the normally also have a plastic bag for soiled clothes etc that comes in handy and a little changing mat for when your in public restrooms etc but you can also buy those things separately.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• yes and its fashion as well....i have a really CUTE big PURSE that iam using at the moment as a diaper bag and i love it.....so if you like it and its ur taste why not?? although some purses dont have very many storing compartment but it will work just depending on how u store ur babys things....=)
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 8:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• i used a diaper bag for a while cus w a newborn i feel you need it but at like 6 -7 mths i use my purse cus then all you need is a diaper n wipes
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 8:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I always used diaper bags because the straps were always wider and much more comfortable to carry. With my youngest I was still having to keep an emergency change for my oldest, the 4. I used an actual shoulder bag from a luggage set. It lasted the best of anything.. Lots of pockets. Study zipper. Easy to wip down ballistic nylon. Really it's all about what you are going to carry. My sister used one of those itty bitty bags that barely held a bottle and a diaper. I could never have done that. I always had diaper cream in mine, hnad saniotzer, hand lotion, baby powder, teething stuff, motrin. I never wanted to be caught out without stuff I might need. At the time we were very financially strapped. I guess I did it also because I rarely had the option to just go buy more if I forgot something. Congrats!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I used a British Book bag. It didn't "scream" baby and had a long over the shoulder strap and easy access pockets all over it.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I always use a diaper bag because they tend to have extra specific features design for caring for a baby.
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 9:44 PM on May. 12, 2011