Do you make more money than your SO?

Do you make more money than your DH/SO? Does it bother them? Most months I make more than DH and he really does not like it. He keeps making comments since I make so much money he can just go get his own acct and blah blah blah. But I have two jobs, and I went to college and got my degree. He works in a factory. Apparently since his job is physically harder than mine I'm not supposed to make good money.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 8:38 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• If u count child support, yes I make more and no, he doesn't care. And he's the one with an education!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• We are both college educated and I make more than double what he makes! He doesn't care at all. In fact, he is happy because that means extra spending money for him.

Maybe your dh is insecure because of the way he was raised and the belief about a man taking care of the family. Those are his hang ups... not yours. You go girl, you deserve what you get. College is hard work and you deserve to reap the rewards.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I make more than my husband at 1 job. I'm salary and he has 2 hourly jobs. But, if you combine the wages of both of his jobs, he technically brings home more a week than I do. It doesn't bother me as much only b/c he works 2 jobs.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:46 PM on May. 12, 2011

• my SO is self employed and yes I make more than him. Basically I pay all the bills and he picks up dinner every now and then LOL
    No it doesnt bother me or him. He stays home during the day and keeps the house to a minimal standard so I am ok with it.
    I totally hate doing housework so it all works out.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:50 PM on May. 12, 2011

• No but I got a whole buttload of life insurance money from my father. More than he makes in a few years. Jobwise, I make half what he does and I get another $519 a month from the VA.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:03 PM on May. 12, 2011

• No my hubs makes more than I do. He would not have a problem if I ever had a job where I made more $ than he does. In fact he has made comments saying he would not mind if I were the 'breadwinner' in the family....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:05 AM on May. 13, 2011

• i work full time and my S/O is a stay at home parent. i think it may bother him that he has no income right now, but i have always made more, and it did not bother him that i did when we were both working.
    amy585

Answer by amy585 at 9:19 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I make about 15% less than DH. He's older and old fashioned. If I made more, I'm not sure how he'd feel. On the one hand, he has the image of himself as the breadwinner. On the other hand, he wouldn't mind even more money. This could happen as we are both in state government and he's pretty much at the top of where he can go and I've got more room for advancement in my area.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:47 PM on May. 13, 2011