Not trying to start a cafemom war just want to know why most caucasians think that all Hispanics are Mexican?

And I ask because I have experienced this before a Caucasian friend of mine was with her inlaws and I called her at the same time and they asked who she was speaking to and she said my friend ( blank) and they were curious because of my name and asked if I was Mexican and she said no shes puerto rican and they said its the same shit wth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Oh, its not the same?
    Anonymous

• ignorance. Plain and simple.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• and that means ALL Caucasians think this??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:50 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I did say most not all..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't think most white people think that. However, if you are in TX, NM or AZ It's likely you are Mexican, so people are going to guess that.. If you're in FL, you're probably Cuban, and if you're in NY, you're either Puerto Rican, or Dominican.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:51 PM on May. 12, 2011

• This is a stupid question. Just because your friends in-laws are idiots doesn't mean "MOST" Caucasians are
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• same difference... most, all... you are still talking about one ignorant couple. That is not NEARLY enough to make this kind of generalization.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Who is to even say it is most Caucasians?? That is just as ignorant as thinking all latinas are Mexican. DUH.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Well to give you a real answer to your question it probably boils down to the fact that most hispanics ARE mexicans in certain areas. I am just going by my life experiences. Of all the hispanics I know only like a couple are not mexican.
    As far as saying there the same though, that is kind of silly. There is alot of differences in the cultures. Maybe a lack of culture education? Does it even exist?
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Well to be fair all white people are sort of lumped together too. How many people can tell the difference between someone from germany and someone from france?

I try my best to not assume a persons origins but it really just comes down to people having cultural ignorance and a lot of people not really bothering to change that. . I can see where it would be offensive to some people
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:02 PM on May. 12, 2011