Have you or anyone you know been put on blood pressure medicines and then were able to stop taking them?

Or is it always a "take them for life" thing?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 8:49 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• I have heard of people being able to stop taking them after losing weight,stressing less, but sadly I am not one of the lucky ones :(
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:34 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Aww. Well, i went to the doc Monday because mine spiked dramatically. I am on 3 pills for the week and he will see me tomorrow to see if it came down, which, it did on the meds. Then, we will do some testing to see why it spiked. I have already started the "DASH diet" and will start exercising next week. Hopefully I can do something. I AM overweight...so, i will be losing weight and cutting out sodium and sugars to see what will happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 9:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• G/L Mine is hereditary (dam family and there bad genes :) I have been tempted to try the DASH diet myself I could stand to lose some chunk myself I can't keep calling the extra 25 lbs "baby weight" much longer when my baby is going to be one next month.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Haha, well, my "baby' is 14years old..so...
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My doc put me on blood pressure medication and took me off of it a month later once it was corrected
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 11:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh ok..great to hear. maybe i will be lucky.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:36 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Some people have bp issues due to stress or weight. If you lose weight, your pressure tends to drop. I'm not one of those fortunate ones. I've had very high BP since I was in my early 20's...and thin. I am on 2 different medications to control it. If I go even one day without my Toprol 200 mg., my bp shoots up to some ungodly numbers and I have to go to the er. If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm running straight for the drug stores and stealing all my meds LOL

Good luck to you.  I hope you are able to get it under control

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:42 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There are numerous things you can do but you'll have to research them yourself because your doctor won't tell you. Here are a few:

Make sure you're getting enough magnesium (you'll probably have to supplement because you can't get what you need solely through food since our soil is so depleted of minerals). Magnesium deficiency is common in people with heart disease. Insufficient magnesium causes blood vessels to go into spasms and cholesterol may rise, both of which lead to BP problems. Magnesium enhances insulin secretion, faciliting sugar metabolism. Make sure you cut out bad carbs from your diet immediately. You need to understand the heart disease/diabetes connection. High levels of insulin in your blood will cause your kidneys to hold on to sodium. You've probably heard that sodium is what you're supposed to avoid if you have high blood pressure. (Cont'd)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on May. 13, 2011

• But you may not have heard that for the vast majority of people, a low-sodium diet doesn't improve blood pressure at all. The problem is not that they're getting too much sodium in their diet, but rather that because of the insulin in their blood, their kidneys are hanging on to too much sodium, and thus hanging on to too much water, with high blood pressure as a result. You can take diuretics or you can control your insulin levels, lose the extra sodium and the extra water with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Well, since he has me on diuretics, my numbers immediately went back to better than normal in 3 days. I also already have Magnesium, Co-Q10, fish oil and L-Arginine with L-Citrulline to take after the doctor looks for any other cause whether stress, weight, diabetes, cholesterol..etc. He wants me to wait a bit to take them, but, he is ok and told me to take them later. Although, I had already gotten them to start taking.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:57 AM on May. 13, 2011