Does anyone take Expecta?

We just found out we were expecting and today at my nurses appt she told me to take Expecta since I don't eat fish products. She gave me some samples. I have three kids and never had to take this product before...infact I have never even heard of it!

Just curious if anyone else is taking it.

Mimomof3boys

Asked by Mimomof3boys at 7:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• never heard of it but maybe its high in omega 3? do some research befor taking it does the dr know or did the nurse just give it to you?
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• ok so i googled it real fast lol and yes i was right its high in omega 3. you can find prenatal vitamins with it in them. id take it its good for the development of the babies brain.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took them. It's like a red gel capsule right? It's for omega 3 and folic acid I think. They are OTC and docs and midwives alike are recommending them now days.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took them a few times while I was pregnant with my daughter... I couldn't keep my prenatals down.
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 8:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I already take prenatals...so I guess I have to take them both! Yes, it is a red capsule. I had never heard of them until today so just wondering if anyone else is taking them! Thanks ladies.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 8:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I take them when I can keep things down. . .I can't eat fish because I'm allergic. Expensive tho.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• it is a real expensive DHA supplement. I would literally rob my midwife's office of all her samples, but took them closer to the last month of pregnancy and during breastfeeding.

I would recommend an Omega 3 blend. Go to vitamin shoppe and get their generic brand Flax Seed Oil. You can also look for a multi oil capsule.

The supplements also aid in constipation...niiiiice huh!

by the way, they do not replace a prenatal vitamin, and you can find a cheaper generic brand. But your Dr. is giving you a good suggestion, it's your choice if you take it or not.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I didn't bother. Perhaps I should have but like you, I've had 3 other babies and they did just fine. I didn't want the added expense, but if you can afford them I'd say why not.
    sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It is expensive! I, myself, take fish oil and that is much less expensive. You can take flax seed oil, that is very rich in omega three. You do not have to take expectra to get your omega three, but you defiantly take something to get all of the omega three you need. I took it even before I got pregnant, and it makes such difference in memory and information retrieval! Take flax, and you'll get what you need without paying the outrageous price of expectra. Your baby, and your wallet will thank you for it.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I don't really care how expensive it is...DH was looking for a way to use our health care flex card anyways! (HAHA)

Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008