Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Severe ADHD Symptoms

I have a 10 yr old son that has shown signs of ADHD and it's getting worse as he gets older. I have a 5 yr old that seems to have a higher attention span than my oldest. He fidgets and gets angry so easily but when I took him to the doctor he said something about his sleeping habits, wth?? That child sleeps like a baby. How do I get the doctor to see what I see?? Even the school is asking me to get him rechecked because it is becoming such a problem.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

Answers (21)
  • What type of doctor did you take him too? I suggest scheduling an appointment with a psychologist/psychiatrist or a behavior therapist or a doctor who specializes in ADHD.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:58 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • It was his pediatrician. I figured even if he personally couldn't help me, he could have at least referred me to someone who could but I had to keep a journal of my sons sleeping habits and they were perfectly normal...that was a month of sleepless nights too. His anger and impulsive behavior is what bothers me the most.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:01 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • Contact the guidance counselor at your son's school. They should have a list of recommendations. I found my son's psychologist and psychiatrist that way.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:04 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • Contact a counselor who deals with children and get your child the help he DESERVES.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • I would definitely ask your pediatrician for a referral to a psychiatrist or psychologist. You could also contact a local outpatient office and ask them if they do ADHD evaluations.

    Answer by SherriPie at 1:25 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Ask for an evaluation.

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:28 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • My son has adhd and he sounds alot like how you described your son. My DS does have sleep problems and once We got him on meds for adhd and something to help him sleep he wad a totally different kid. Your school should be able to help you out by evaluating your son.

    Answer by KamiB79 at 9:45 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • Your pediatrician can give you and the school papers to file out. It's called a Conner's (sp) form. It is a number scaled that will be used to compare behaviors seen at home verses school. It is best for you to fill yours out without knowing what the teacher has marked. After the forms are filled out, the doctor can determine if your child is having trouble with hyperactivity, social emotional , or focus. This can help you determine what the next step in treatment should be. Sometimes a learning disability other than ADHD manifests with similar symptoms. My husband and oldest son have ADHD and they have very different treatments. It is a long road, but catching it now will make a dramatic difference for your son. Good luck. Feel free to message me if you need any moral support. We moms have to stick together!!

    Answer by babyboyzz at 10:29 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • i would talk to the ped again, or ask the school to document his behavior... document his sleep habits as well... the more info you have the more your dr can help you

    Answer by asil at 11:08 PM on May. 13, 2011

  • My son has adhd we had to go through the school therapist.

    Answer by momkaribg at 5:10 PM on May. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.