What do you other moms think about the next step formula?

My daughter has not been breastfed since she was 4.5 months old. The doctor told me at 9 months to put her on next step formula. I am thinking about keeping her on it for awhile. It is good until they are 24 months.

Lyndseysmom808

Asked by Lyndseysmom808 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Milk is cheaper so I'm switching at 1 year. But he also nursed a couple of times of a day still so I'm no worried about him missing out on nutrition.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I also breastfed for a while, we switched my daughter from formula though to whole milk around her first birthday, she loves it and actually drinks it way better than the formula.
    KayleeMommyDay

Answer by KayleeMommyDay at 11:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Ryley breastfed until 6 months, had formula till 1 and then switched to whole milk. We switched for two reasons: she didn't really care about her formula(or her bottle) and it is expensive. If Lindsey is at a healthy weight then I am sure switching to whole milk is fine.
    RyleyandJen

Answer by RyleyandJen at 12:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Aurora had breastmilk for the first month and a half. We had issues actually breastfeeding so i pumped.

After that we used Enfamil formula, suggested by the doc.. She did great with it.

At nine months i asked about next step formula, he said its just a ploy to get parents to keep their kids on formula after a year and he didnt see a reason to switch her because at a year she would get milk.

Well it happens to be cheaper than regular formula by a few bucks, so we switched her over to it, she had a rocky first day and then was fine after that.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 12:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• next step is just a rediculous way for formula companies to get more money out of you for another year. i tried it once any it was aweful. you can introduce dairy between ten and twelve months and it's just as good for them since they should be on a pretty regular diet by then save the money for all the baby food you'll soon be buying :)
    BrookeD85

Answer by BrookeD85 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Milk is cheaper.
    However, I do have a can that I keep in the fridge so it lasts a LONG time. I use it when my little one is sick and not eating. I'll give it to her instead of a cup of milk so she gets some extra vitamins. When she's better, I go back to milk and food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I used the Similac Go and Grow when I was forced by WIC to wean him to straight whole milk at 12 mths. He was such a picky eater and I was worried. Its expensive but after about 1 1/2 mths his appetite picked up and I give him 1 5oz cuppy full instead of 3 a day...
    AntzMumi430

Answer by AntzMumi430 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2008