Perimenopause

I am 33 and seem to have a lot of the symptoms- irregular periods, sleep problems, memory issues, lack of focus, fatigue, big mood swings, etc. I thought I was too young, until I remembered a friend who was also 33 when she experienced the changes. I am due for my yearly checkup this summer, so I will discuss it with my doctor then. Who else is going through this and how old are you?

AngieBry

Asked by AngieBry at 9:12 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• Perimenopause can start in your thirtys and last for ten or more years. Including hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, irregular cycles, acne, weight gain and aches and pains. Have your doctor check your hormone levels as early onset of menopause can cause osteoporosis and other problems as well.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:32 AM on May. 16, 2011

• Here a something to make you laugh. What I am going to tell you happened about 30 years ago, when I was in high school. A friend of mine had a male teacher that was going through Andropause (men's version of menopause). My friend's mom was going through menopause at the time. Her Dr. had her taking Estrogen pills to help regulate her hormones. Unbeknownst to her, her son had taken a few of her pills to give to his teacher in the hopes that it would help him. His teacher took them and was having better days. My friend asked his teacher if he was feeling better. His teacher thanked him and told him that he did feel better. Later that day, my friend told his mom about giving his teacher some of her pills to help his teacher feel better. She asked him what pills he was talking about. When he told her which pills they were, she burst into laughter and had to explain to him that they were for women only. :)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2011

• funny, I just asked my gyno today if I was in perimenopause! She said it usually starts around 47 but I have a friend who's 42 and has it. I am having the same symptoms. She also said as we age we get more hormonal/emotional....who knows lady!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My doctor said it starts in the 30's.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

• me! 42
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:15 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I have been going through that for about 2 years. My Dr. told me that it wasn't perimenopause or menopause. She didn't know what it was that was causing it. Did you know that you can have the same problem if you are lacking iodine in your diet? I am not suggesting that that is what is wrong, but maybe you are lacking some vitamin/s in your diet. Do your research! You can search on www.medlineplus.com.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:18 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Thanks dustbunny, good advice. I will check into it!
    AngieBry

Comment by AngieBry (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• HAHAHAHA!!!!! Too funny!!!!
    AngieBry

Comment by AngieBry (original poster) at 9:38 PM on May. 12, 2011

• By the way, I am 41 and just found out that I am about 2 months pregnant. What a shock! I asked the nurse which pregnancy test I should have done: urine sample or blood sample. I chose the blood sample since it was able to tell us approximately how far along I was, if I was pregnant. You see, I had 2 periods in January and 1 in February. Missed my period in March and April.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Wow!! Congrats to you!!! :))
    AngieBry

Comment by AngieBry (original poster) at 9:55 PM on May. 12, 2011