Mumps

Has anyone here had the mumps as an adult? I have it and I'm miserable. Both sides of my face are super swollen and my and ears hurt. At this point, there's no fever. I started noticing the swelling about 3 days ago, but had attributed it to allergies. Then today I just started feeling "not right" so I went to the doctors and I was diagnosed with mumps. If you've had it, how long does it last? Do the symptoms ease up after a few days.....any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 9:23 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• Did you never get your MMR? Mumps can kill you I would get the shot...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I had the shot as a kid. Besides, once you get it, you're immuned so there's no need for the shot now. Death from mumps is quite rare actually.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I had them on one side as child but I got them on the other side as an adult.  The night before I left on my honeymoon to be exact lol.  My doctor told me to take ibuprofen and the discomfort only lasted about 2 or 3 days.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh thank goodness. I have had the swelling a few days now, but today is the first real day of discomfort. Fortunately, I have nothing to do this entire weekend, so I will just take it easy and hopefully I'll feel like myself again on Monday.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You poor thing! I hope you feel better very soon.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:07 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Actually, an adult may need a booster and the mumps still kills people because a lot of people are NOT getting their kids vaccinated so the diseases are making a comeback. You are not IMMUNE to any disease you get vaccinated from, you just have a much less chance of contracting the disease and if you do it's a lesser case.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• No, I said once you get it (the mumps) you are immuned. It's very rare to get it more than once....like the chicken pox. After having it, the majority of people have a lifelong immunity. And as I said, death from mumps is RARE.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• There was no MUMPS vaccine for me---I was born in 1941.
    I got mumps in 1973 ...I was kinda old to be getting it. I caught it from my kids who also did n't get the mumps vaccine ...it was not available then either.
    I was sooooo sick. I had swelling on one side of my face and neck for a week, then the next week, swelling on the other side. I had so many symptoms...I hated it. A few months later I mentioned it at my annual check up and my Doctor said I was lucky I got through it wiyth no complications. I am healthy,thank goodness.
    Good luck---it sucks. I sympathize!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:27 PM on May. 13, 2011