She weaned herself, and then changed her mind adult content

My daughter self-weaned. She is 2. I was thrilled she weaned, because previously she would nurse fairly often, and I have 2 other young kids who need my time too (she did not just nurse 3-4 times a day- it was getting frustrating, negative, painful and not fun for the older kids)

We were on vacation, one we take often. Usually, she nurses. This time, she never asked (well, once, but we were on our way out), I never offered, a week later we got home and it was over. I thought she was doing a self-weaning thing.

But now that we're home, she asks to nurse. And I don't want her to, and it hurts, and my milk is dried up and I'm OK with that. It's been 2 weeks almost!

Has anybody been through this? Is there any way to help her understand, apart from cuddling and saying "you're a big girl" and "milk is all gone" and offering her a snack or cup to drink?

She is happy and healthy otherwise, very active, VERY smart- she wants to nurse when hurt, bored, sitting on my lap, etc. Less often than before.... but I don't want her to think that I am cutting her off- she did it herself. Milk is gone. But I do want it to stay gone.

Tracys2

Asked by Tracys2 at 10:05 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My SIL went through he same thing. She put some bandaids on her nipples and told the baby that her boobies were broken and wouldn't work again until another baby came along. Worked like a charm.

You gave her two good years of breastmilk, don't feel bad for weaning her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Hugs and kudos to you mama for making it that long! Mine self weaned during pregnancy at 18 months and the second at 35 months. My first did ask to nurse once after second was born, but he had "forgotten" how and couldn't get anything. Maybe let her try and see that the milk is gone? Bear in mind though that my milk was not fully gone until about 9 months after she weaned so that may back fire.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Thanks! Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the milk coming back. I did let her try once, and it HURT so that is not motivation either. I could try it again, but I'm worried letting her try too much could cause it to come back, and we could get back to too much nursing and the craziness it caused me sometimes (2-3 times a day would have been fine for me, but not for her)

My other 2 self-weaned much earlier. My 1st around 14 months due to my 2nd pregnancy and he got frustrated, and my 2nd at a year, minus a day or 2 (that may not have been a true weaning, but I didn't know and she never asked again). This one is almost 2 1/2, so really, I don't feel too guilty. Or at least, I didn't!
    Tracys2

Comment by Tracys2 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on May. 12, 2011

• After 2 weeks of nothing, I say don't go back. If it was a day or two, maybe, but no, she survived 2 weeks without nursing, she can be done. Maybe just hold her while she has a drink before bed and naps?

My last daughter stopped around 18 months and I was ready to be done then too. The hardest time was around naps and bedtime.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:32 PM on May. 12, 2011