How do teen moms feel about all the stastics that are said about us?

Example: About how many of us won't get any where in life or that we will be on welfare most of our life.

rekob2011

Asked by rekob2011 at 10:18 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well I had my son at 19 and I've never been on welfare a day in my life. its unfortunate that most teen moms won't do anything with their lives or live off of welfare but if you work hard you can get to where you want to be.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:23 PM on May. 12, 2011

• They are statistics which means they are the truth why should it bother me that people speak the truth? I only hope to break their ideals of what a teen mom is!
    Anonymous

• Well, it sucks for those of us who aren't statistics! When people assume you're not a great parent on meeting you, or speak to an older person (say, the grandparents) about the baby instead of you... it's awful. I actually switched my DD's pediatrician after he pulled the second thing on us. My mother had given us a ride to the office, since I was recovering from the C-section, & the doctor started asking her the questions, even though I called & made the appointment, & my name was on the papers. I corrected him politely several times, & he continued. I finally told him, at the end of the visit, that I was my daughter's mother, I take care of her 100%, & I'm the one who needs this information, not my daughter's grandmother. His jaw dropped, & he actually told me he assumed my mother would be raising the child, because I was 16. I suggested that he be a little more open minded, & told him I wouldn't be bringing my DD back. HA!
    Anonymous

• Statistics? Are you a teen Mom? WHich statistics do you mean?
    Those are generaizations that you mention. It depends on how much the teen Mom wants to continue school and how ambitious a teen Mom is. If a teen Mom stays home with her baby, all alone, with no husband or family or support system it will be hard to achieve any kind of sucess.Maybe that is why so many statistics show that teen Moms are at a disadvantage. Without a good education and a high paying job, Moms usually need some kind of assistance. Sad but true.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:27 PM on May. 12, 2011

• instead of worrying about statistics which are factual just raise your kid and show everyone your not a statistic.....
    Anonymous

• Anon, It should be: show everyone you're not a statistic. You are=you're. Its good to be educated. Go back to school.OK?
    Anonymous

• Okay. For one I was just asking a question to see if there are teen mothers out there that feel the same way I do. And for two I am in school, I graduate this month. Plus I am going to college. I agree, I think all of us should break those statistics and do the best for ourselves and our children. Yeah I would definitely changed pediatricians too!! I'm so glad that my son's doctor is super nice and caring.
    rekob2011

Comment by rekob2011 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on May. 12, 2011

• That's the best attitude to have, rekob! I'm the pediatrician-changer, btw. My DD hit the keyboard & clicked "anon", I didn't notice it. She was born when I was 16, & I graduated high school 3rd in my class. I'm now in the top 10% of my registered nursing program, & she's a beautiful, happy 3 year old. You can't let the prejudices of others weigh you down- turn them into fuel for your fire! It's harder to do a lot of things, no question about it, but it's by no means impossible to have a happy, healthy mom & baby now & for years to come. Congrats on graduating!!!! Feel free to PM me, if you'd like. Hugs, doll!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 1:01 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I was a teen mom and I hate statistics so far I have done nothing but prove them wrong!
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:36 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I had my first at 18, but had the benefit of a high school diploma, and a loving supportive family. My son is now 25 and one of 5 kids. He is smart, kind, educated and gainfully employed. I could not be more proud, nor could I ever imagine my life without him. He has been my hearts delight. I am now 44 and one damn good mom.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2011