Best way to make and freeze smoothies

i have strawberries and bananas and plain yogurt
but idk what ratios to use, (id prefer more strawberries than banana)
and what is the best way to make a lot, freeze it, and have it thawed and ready in the morning.

thanks!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:24 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It's all based on what you like. I like cutting the strawberries and bananas and freezing them, either in orange juice or with orange juice cubes separate - so you don't have to use ice.

Then, I fill the blender however high with frozen fruit chunks, dollop on enough yogurt to fill about halfway down in the cracks, splash on some juice if I didn't have it frozen, and blend. (Basically, 2 part chunky fruit to 1 part yogurt.) Within the fruit you can do double strawberry to banana, easily.

I've never tried freezing it already made and defrosting for the next day. If anyone has experience with that I would be interested to see what they have to say.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Freezing smoothies really doesn't work, they separate and its gross!

What I do is put the fruit and yogurt and protein powder in the blender the night before. I freeze the bananas instead of ice, and its smoother that way too I think. Sometimes I use peanut butter instead of soy or whey protein powder. anyway, everything in the blender cup, put it in fridge. Then, in the morning, put in frozen bananas, slam it on the base, blend, pour, drink! The best thing about a smoothie is you can taste as you go. Put in some fruit blend and taste, not enough berries, add more and blend again! Just try to remember what you used so that you don't have to do this every day!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:33 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Freezing it won't work. They do not thaw well at ALL.

Making a fresh one every morning takes me less than 5 minutes. I use frozen fruit, ground flax, a couple tsp of honey, almond milk, a splash of EVOO and give it a whirl. Done in less than 5. I don't see why you would want/need to freeze & thaw something that takes so little effort and time to make.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:44 AM on May. 13, 2011