What are some good ways to get my lil monster to poop in the potty?

Chase has been using the potty for 7 days now. Has had one accident in his pants and one in his pull up (Both Poop). He is no longer wearing pull ups as of now. Not even to bed. He has been doing awsome but I have noticed he has yet went poop in either of the pottys. :( Any Advice?

Chase is 2 years (32 months). He is the one who started potty training his self. He asked for underwear friday and has been in them ever since. When he has to go, he either goes by him self or tells me he has to go. Then he comes to me all excited and has me go look and we cheer him on.

Mama-3Monsterz

Asked by Mama-3Monsterz at 10:31 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have u seen the movie Look Who's Talking? That is the best idea and worked for my kid.
    Anonymous

• How old is he? I have 6 kids, the youngest is just now being toilet trained, and the best advice I can give is that he'll do it when he's ready. I stressed and fretted over toilet training my first one, but then I kinda relaxed and waited until they were a little older. It's so much less stressful if he is older because: he has more control of his body functions, he can communicate better, and he has a greater social awareness of the importance of using the toilet. Also you can skip the potty stage altogether if he's tall enough to use the family toilet, maybe with the help of a little step.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Get rid of the pull ups - donate them, throw them away - just get them out of the house. Tell him they are all gone and it's only underwear from now on. Praise him for all the great effort he has made and let him know that you are proud of him. Stay home for 3 days in a row if possible, and make sure he's wearing pants that can be easily removed or just keep him in underwear. Make sure he has access to the potty at all times, try to keep him in your view at all times to pick up on any cues that he has to poop. If you see that he might have to go, remind him where to go but leave it up to him to make the connection of the feeling of an impending bowel movement and making the move to the bathroom. After the first day or two, he may have had a few accidents but by day 3, he will likely be a pro.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Try the 3 day potty training method. After going through the 'waiting til their ready' thing with my oldest, who would probably still be pooping in a pull up at age 7 if I let her, I didn't want to allow that for my second child. We did the method with him at 27 months and it worked like a charm.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• The poop is the second step to potty training, dont worry about it and it will work itself out.

I had a mom ask me a similar question on my parenting website http://askananny.com
    Look in the Archive under "Potty Training Plateau!!
    Why can’t I get my son to poop on the potty!?"

Good Luck!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)

AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 10:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• We are almost out of pull ups but I did tell him we were all out of them. He doesnt want to even wear them. But I do have a 19month old lil boy who also wears them. We praise him every time he uses the potty, even our 4 year old son does. We have had appointments every day this week, and he still used the potty. He just yells pee pee or :s pulls down his pants to go pee. But I havent tried to remind him where the potty is. I do ask him if he has to go poop, and say "if you have to go poop Tator, try to use the potty" the 2 times he did go poop (once in his underwear, once in his pull up) I say "aw Chase, you know the potty really loves poopy" or "nice try hun but maybe next time we can go in the potty".
    Mama-3Monsterz

Comment by Mama-3Monsterz (original poster) at 11:13 PM on May. 12, 2011

• One thing you might want to try is stop referring to your small children as " monsters, it might be cute to you but given the age of the child I think it sends the wrong message.
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 6:33 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I'm having the same issue with my son but with him he will just hold his poop in instead of trying especially if I see him trying to grunt in his underwear i loved pull-ups in the beginning process of trying to get him to tell me when he had to go potty but now if he wears them especially if we are outside playing he will just treat it like a diaper. I have no idea how to get my son to go poop in potty other than just to take him to potty when he tries in his underwear and maybe let him see mommy's or daddy's poo in stool? My son seemed to want to try the other day when he saw daddy's poo in the potty....worth a try maybe. Good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the advice mamas! And about the monthers comment. They find it funny and I never use it in a bad way. Its a nick name and everyone has one for their child/ren. I also call him TatorTote and Bug. And I call them monsters because awhile ago when they were scared of 'Monters' they used the "Monster Spray" on themselves. It was cute and it stuck. I was asking advice on potty training. Sorry you got mixed up by what I was calling my boys.
    Mama-3Monsterz

Comment by Mama-3Monsterz (original poster) at 11:46 AM on May. 14, 2011