Inheritance questions

My paternal Grandmother died and left a will spliting all of her assets in seven equal parts for her seven children.

My father died 15 years ago and my one aunt and uncle want me and my siblings to sign over our rights as direct decendents and have our seventh go to my mother.

I don't think this is fair.

Yes my Grandmother considered my mother as one of her own. But my mother resented her and often ditched her.

I spent quite a bit of time with my Grandmother as she aged and my mother would poke fun of me for it and even get jealous.

If I am going to sign this thing I need to do it tomorrow.

If I don't sign it my aunt uncle and mother will probably hate me. My uncle already told me I really don't have a choice.

I want to sign it and let my mother know that she should split the money with her children, but I know she is not a fair person and has probably already decided how to squander it.

I want to have faith in my own mother but I don't.

What would you do?

studentteach

Asked by studentteach at 10:35 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I went thru something similar and let me tell you, money makes people do messed up stuff! I would not sign it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would take the money as it's legally entitled to you...and then if you and your siblings feel like your mother should have a share, you all pool and give her her fair share. That way she gets what she "deserves", and you don't have to worry about her taking advantage of anyone.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• What families can do when money gets involved, its really shameful and shameless!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the other ladies I wouldnt sign it , why wouldnt they be happy for you all to give your mother a share, and why would they want you to have nothing.....I think the worst part is that your uncle told you you dont have a choice, what a terrible thing to do, you absolutely have a choice! that is dead wrong of him. How do your siblings feel? All would have to sign right not just 1.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't sign it!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 10:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Don't sign it! You are a direct descendent because you are the next of kin for your father. Not your mother. It goes to you and your sisters. Unless it stipulates that the surviving spouse gets that part of the inheritance, your relatives are in the wrong. If they hate you so what. Money after someone dies brings out the worst in people. If she wanted your mother in the will, then she would have put her in there. DON'T LET THEM DO THIS TO YOU!!! Let their grief pass and emotions calm down before any big decisions are made.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I want to have faith in my own mother but I don't.

You pretty much answered your own question girly! Don't sign! You will regret it! GL!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:03 PM on May. 12, 2011

• The money is legally yours. Once you receive the money, you can certainly share with your mother.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:47 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Don't sign anything!. You don't have to, and don't let them tell you otherwise.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:08 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Is there a lawyer in charge of this more than 15 year old will? Your ganrdmother should have made this decision, and the will should have reflected that. Your Uncle has no right to tell you that you have to sign it. If that were in fact true then your signature would not be required. I wouldn't sign it. But I think you will feel better if you sit down with the lawyer (and not your uncle) and discuss it. They may be able to set it up so that your mother gets part direct from the estate and you and your siblings get part direct from the estate. Then there is no worry that one sibling will change his or her mind once he or she has the money in hand.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• DON'T SIGN JACK,THAT MONEY BELONGS TO YOU AND YOU SIBLINGS,AND IF YOU ALL WANT TO GIVE YOUR MOTHER SOMETHING NOT A GREAT DEAL BUT SOMETHING,AND AS FAR AS YOUR MOTHER GOES SHE WILL ONE DAY NEED SOMEONE TO CARE FOR HER,AND I PRAY TO GOD THAT PERSON HAS GOD IN THIER LIFE.BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS WHATEVER A MAN SOW SO SHALL HE REAP.MAY GOOD HAVE MERCY ON HER.YOU AND YOU SIBLINGS WILL DO THE RIGHT THING
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 11:38 AM on May. 15, 2011