Do you try to make your kids' food fun?

I see these articles with the funny face sandwiches and all this stuff and I just think it's so ridiculous! I buy the food, I cook the food, if you don't eat the food then that's your problem!

Now, I'm not so bad, I can make a hot dog into an octopus, I can pour you a pancake into any shape, letter, animal, or face that you request, I can even write a message into the toast! I also serve my food attractively, and I have a pretty extensive collection of character dishes LOL! But all of this other "kid food" just makes me feel like who are these women who actually do this?

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No. I make it, they eat it or go hungry. Well, we do have the sandwich cutter that makes the sandwich into dinosaurs. My 5yo reminded me of it today. We rarely use it and that would be up to the kids since they make their own sandwiches.
    I've never had any need to make the kids' food "fun" or whatever to get them to eat it. They eat just about anything I give them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I am on the same page as you. I do the octopus, smiley face pancakes, cut out sammy etc. I think that effort is great, I am not against trying new things but ya i will not go too overboard.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I am pretty much the same way. Sometimes, I get a little fancy with the food just to prove to myself that I am creative. I get into these ruts and I try to get myself out of them.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• we usually do with special desserts, but actual meals no, we have a special pancake griddle that puts animal faces on them otherwise that is it. the desserts on the other hand me and my hubby have fun surprising our girls with. we made a compost pile cake about a month ago and they really enjoyed that (we even got chocolates that looked like rocks). but for regular meals i am usually just happy to get it done and on the table.

tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:53 AM on May. 13, 2011