Making the most of summer

I would like to avoid spending too much time in the house, in front of the TV, on the DS or Wii this summer, but other than getting in the car and going on a field trip, it's hard to motivate my kids to stay outside. We have ride ons, we have a pool, we have a tree house, and yet, I can just see it now . . . they will want to park their fannies on the couch at any opportunity. I'd love some suggestions for getting the kids to stay outside this summer, in our own backyard! My kids are 7, 5 and 2 years old.

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 11:00 PM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm surprised. We have a pool too, and I have a hard time getting my daughter out in the summer. Do you get in the pool with them and play games? Get them some new pool toys or something that they'll enjoy doing outside. Also, tell them that they have to be active and do things outside before they earn the privilege of playing the video games or watch TV. You can always hide the remote/controls. Also, maybe once a week have one of their friends join them for the swim or snacks in the tree house.  Also, try to make things fun by having their lunch outside everyday, like a pic nic.

Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Gardening is fun for us. My husband and I and our 7 yr old garden every year. Most years we grow vegies but we always grow flowers. Our 7 yr old loves to help me prune the plants with scissors and pick the vegies. We also go on walks to the convenient store to buy a 20 cent lollipop. We have playdates at the city park or at the city pool. But it might be more fun for your children if you joined in on the outside activities with them :)
    littlekitten6

Answer by littlekitten6 at 11:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• we play baseball in the yard, or ride bikes, but I get out there with him. We have a blast. We'll go to the pool and play basketball in the pool. We love to be outside.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:15 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I work but i put the kids in city classes swim,sports,dance to keep them active.Mine love to play outside!
    Anonymous

• My kids are grown so I'm out of that stage. I'll bump you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:37 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I am usually outside with them, but I am more than likely looking after the youngest and the big ones kind of wander in the house when I'm not looking. They don't always want to do what the 2 y.o. and I are doing, OR, my attention is being torn in 3 different directions. I definitely need to have some guided projects/playtime but am lacking ideas.
    nepenthe429

Comment by nepenthe429 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on May. 12, 2011