Circumcision. For or against?

It's a hot parenting topic right now. Chime in and let me know why you are for it or against it. Do you feel it's a parental right or a human rights violation? Speak up!

I am speaking of NEWBORN MALE CIRCUMCISION.  Not circumcision done to an adult for medical reasons.

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 11:14 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My husband and I chose to keep our son intact. It wasn't even a discussion. We both feel it is his body, and his decision. We've done research, and less than 1% of men will need a circumcision for medical reason as they age. We feel that risk is worth taking, if it has to be done, we'll wait until it *needs* to be done.

I wish others wouldn't chose circumcision, ideally, yes. However, as I know people will continue to do it, I aim to empower people to make informed decisions so that the procedure, if they chose it, is done as safely as possible. Too many people are not informed of the risks of the procedure (such as death from blood loss while healing) or of how to take care post-procedure.

I'd say it's a human violation on a psychological and physical level, but I don't know that I'd support criminalizing it. That just leads people to extremes.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Against it because the child does not have a say in what is done to his body. It's not a life or death procedure that HAS to be done in most cases.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:18 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I say, whatever your husband is.. you'd want your son to look like dad - when its potty training time.
    That would be my suggestion.
    I have one son and yes, he is circumcised...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:20 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I chose to leave my son's foreskin intact because as a newborn, it isn't necessary. I ran a daycare for 12 yrs and have seen more problems with circumcised penises than not. As long as there isn't a medical reason to circumcise a newborn, it is cosmetic surgery. When our son gets older and wants his foreskin removed, then we will take him to the dr. I think it is the childs choice, not the parents. There are cases where mistakes have been made during infant circumcisions and I didn't want to risk it with our son.
    littlekitten6

Answer by littlekitten6 at 11:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• For. It's a parent right and totally legal......
    Anonymous

• Ok ladies...FYI If it were cosmetic than medicaid wouldn't pay for it.
    Anonymous

• for it alll the way
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 11:51 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If I were to ever have a boy, he would be circumsized. Its our choice as parents, and if I had to pay OOP I would.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:02 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I've always been for circs. because I've heard too many horror stories from men who later on in life ended up having to have it done anyway for medical/health reasons. So, to prevent my sons from having to go through and remember that pain as adults I had all three of my boys circed without any problems. Now if you don't what to do it or don't believe in it, fine, that's your choice. But my oldest was also born with an undescended testicle and hernia and there was no way I was going to leave him that way just because he was born with it. It was torture having to wait until he was a year old to have the surgery to drop his testicle when he cried at every diaper change. Also I've been wanting to ask for those that believe in leaving it intacted because they were born that way or for those that believe that circing is cosmetic... Are you going to pierce your daughters ears? Just wondering.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:35 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Against because it's cosmetic.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 11:17 PM on May. 12, 2011