How would you answer....

your child as to why you and their father are not together anymore... Both of us are also remarried....

Kats86

Asked by Kats86 at 11:20 PM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on how old they were.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5 and my daughter is 4 but its her that ask and here lately she will ask almost every time she comes back from their house. Im almost afraid that she doesnt like her stepmother for some reason...
    Kats86

Comment by Kats86 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Age appropiately that you both grew in different directions and just didn't get along any more. It had nothing to do with the child, it was strictly an adult thing between two grown adults that didn't end the way you both had hoped it would when you married. Definately make sure your child knows it had NOTHING to do with him/her, it was strickly beteween you two.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• well you could tell her that mommy and daddy just don't get along well together... my daughter used to ask that question but it was because she thought that we (her father and I) would someday get back together I think that's almost every little girl or boys dream!!!! it doesn't mean that she doesn't like the sm/sd she just wants her family unit back together so she can be with both of you all the time

traren

Answer by traren at 11:32 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It's hard and I need help answering that too, here's a bump.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I kind of never liked the idea of telling her that him and i dont get along because I try not to let them feel any tension between the two of us. I have just told her because mommy is married to her stepdad and daddy is married to her stepmom but i fear that thats not going to be enough for her
    Kats86

Comment by Kats86 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I would be as honest as you can. If you dont get along then say so ( i know you dont want to but...). I see nothing wrong with saying "Daddy is a very good man but I dont get along with him as well as you do." or "Daddy is a great guy but I am really in love with your stepdad." Once they are older you should explain to them about waiting to get married until you are sure and how to tell if you are really in love so that they dont have to explain the same thing to thier kids later in life.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:55 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I told my kids when they were little that their dad and I were much better friends than spouses.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 AM on May. 13, 2011

• tell them that some grown ups are better apart and then move on to a new subject....if you feel something is going on with the step mom ask her if she had a good time at "dad's" and what they did while they where there.....if will give you some clues as to all the asking...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:36 AM on May. 13, 2011

• tell them how it truely is. my mom hid the real reason from me and i hate her for it
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:57 PM on May. 13, 2011