Are there any substitutes for salad oil?

I have a recipe that calls for salad oil but I woul like to start marinating my meat tonight without having to get to the store.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 11:23 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I don't know what 'salad oil' is... I would assume olive oil.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If you are referring to corn oil or vegetable oil, you can use olive oil. I actually grilled a steak last night that I brushed with olive oil. It was really good. I basically only use olive oil now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:27 PM on May. 12, 2011

• you can use any oil in it's place, salad oil is an old term for blended oils, which could be sunflower, safflower, corn, canola or peanut to name a few
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:32 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Actually olive oil has flavor that will stop other ingredients from shining through, I think I am going to use a more nuetral oil. So thanks for the idea.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I always use Italian dressing to marinated my steaks and lamb. So So very tender and delicious!
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:35 PM on May. 12, 2011

• you can use Italian Dressing as a marinade; there are many types of oils available you just have to look them over when you go shopping
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:56 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I use olive oil or canola oil in all my recipes
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:40 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Salad oil is basically canola or whatever your preference is - the big bottles of liquid Crisco oils (or again, your preference). Salad oil is just an old term for it.
    Anonymous