What is your take on pacifiers? When should they be taken away??

kiwismom327

Asked by kiwismom327 at 11:36 PM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• She WILL give it up when she is ready. And as she ages, you can start talking it away from her. She is big enough to start to understand and most kid WILL give it up by 5 if left alone.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 PM on May. 12, 2011

• All three of my kids have had them. I think they should be gone around two. My first son got rid of his a couple of months before he turned two. My second son got rid of his a couple of months after. My daughter will be two in August. I am thinking maybe around Christmas we will mail them to Santa or something. She only uses it now at nap, bedtime and long car rides for the most part.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I love them. I tried to get all 5 of my kids to take them, but only succeeded with my first and fourth. After 12 months it was limited to the crib, my 1st "lost" his at 2 1/2 and cried for one night but never again, my 4th lost interest in his completely on his own at 20 months.

Answer by missanc at 11:44 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I took my sons away when he was 13 months. But i don't think its wrong to let a child have it longer or take it away sooner. Its up to the parent?
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Pacifiers have been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS. I am completely supportive of babies having pacifiers until they reach 12 months old. Anything to help reduce SIDS is welcome in this household!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:25 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Neither of my children took to them, so we never really used any. I don't really have an opinion about anyone else's child, unless the child is being forced to use one against its will.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:44 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Id say with the bottle, no need for a bottle and no need for paci.
    So, right at a year old.
    I don't think its right for big kids with a paci.. like 3 & 4 yr olds.
    Only, one of three of my kids took a paci. Her pedi gave us tips on how easily take it away.
    It was no problem..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I lucked out big time! My first son was breastfeed and used a paci until he was one. We just got rid of them and he didn't even fuss over them. My second son is bottle fed and he doesn't like the paci at all!! He hates them so there is no need for them.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You can not "force" a baby to like a pacifier. Either they do or they don't. Half my kids did & half of them did not. I had way happier babies with the ones that did. The pacifier babies cried less & were easier to sooth when they got upset (and no I don't just mean I stuck the thing in their mouth & walked off either!) Much better then a kid sucking their thumb. You can take away a pacifier but you cant take away a thumb.
    Anonymous

• We took them away around 6 months, it was no problem at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:52 PM on May. 12, 2011