Epicanthal folds?

Do you have a child that had these? Did they grow out of them? My DS has them. I've read that they go away as the bridge of the nose grows. Is this true? We're Caucasian. I hear it's prominent in the Asian and Icelandic areas. I know we're not Asian, but I have no idea about the other. If your child did grow out of them how old were they when they were gone? My DS is 16 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "Epicanthal folds may also be seen in young children of any race before the bridge of the nose begins to elevate.
    Causes
    Epicanthal folds may be normal for people of Asiatic descent and some non-Asian infants. However, it may also be due to certain medical conditions, including: Down syndrome, Turner syndrome, Phenylketonuria (PKU), Williams or Noonan syndrome, Rubinstein-Taybi or Blepharophimosis syndrome."

I pulled this info for you cause you might want to have him checked for them; some are easy to treat.
    I don't have a child with this, but I read that it goes away in some children in the first few years of life.
    If he has one of the above conditions or if it won't go away, there is a surgery but if his condition is NOT troublesome, I wouldn't.
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 8:18 AM on May. 13, 2011