Have you gone GREEN?

How many people are actually living green? Have you jumped on this "green" bandwagon yet?

Kats86

Asked by Kats86 at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I started 20 years ago, always being very conscious of what we do and how it affects the environment. We haven't had a car since 1991, for example. Still always trying to do better though. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:22 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I would love a Green House.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:24 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I haven't yet
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 1:02 AM on May. 13, 2011

• nope. I do recycle paper, glass, and plastic, but that's about all.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:17 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I try to buy as many green products as possible. I try to do the same with Organics, but I dont do either enough to claim the Green Living Status.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:58 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Before it became popular in the last couple years, I have been as much of a "green" mama as possible
    1) organic foods are generally safer than conventinsl foods. For instance for years before the EGBH and RBST hormones were removed from many conventional foods, they were disallowed in organic dairy products.
    The other thing is conventional peanut butter has over 400 trace pesticides in it. Certified organics do not.
    The food is a much more expensive when packaged for convenience but it's quality for your child. Dairy and meat products are considerably more expensive too. However, many other foods are on par w conventional ones and they usually offer bulk buying to save.

2) it's not hard to do many green things, and better for you, your children, and the environment. For instance, your cleaners. They are extremely toxic. You can find safer alternatives, sometimes even for less (melaleuca or 7th generation are my faves).
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 8:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Anything you do to help your environment often helps you. They are linking many cleaning chemicals to respiratory problems, allergy and other immunological conditions.

For air cleaners/deodorizers, air scenic uses essential oils (love the orange - smells like dreamsicles - or the vanilla). They don't have a propellant. It doesn't kill germs and ranges from $7-$10/can but that little can lasts twice as long as the sprays or longer, and doesn't put toxins in the air.

Body cleansers - many of these contain known hormone disrupting chemicals.
    In recent years, restrictions have been loosened on chemical companies. We assume these products are safe (our families used them), but look at the rise in medical conditions in the last decade! Also, the "same" products your parents used have likely changed their formularies (because it's better for their bottom line and they can).

Gardening n green automobiling also... W/o added expense
    Harmy

Answer by Harmy at 8:36 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Well, I feel like I am only doing things half-way, but compared to some other answers, I guess I'm doing pretty good! I have a food garden(a really BIG one), I keep chickens for meat and eggs, I have put in CFL bulbs in my house, I make as much as I can from scratch, like bread, cleaners, etc. I try to conserve water and energy as much as possible. I've cut way back on driving and only go when and where it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure there is a lot more that I could do, too, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'm working on having a farm of my own and doing my own canning and preserving this summer and fall.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:44 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I do as much as I can, make my own cleaners, laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, lotion, deodorant, etc etc. I recycle, repurpose or donate. I buy used, and if I buy anything new I try to purchase organic. I grow my own garden, visit the farmers market, have a compost pile....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• We try to do as much as we can
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:12 AM on May. 13, 2011