Whats going on???

Ok so my son is 3 1/2 and was 99% potty trained ( would only sometimes pee on his self if he was to into playing and That was like once a month ) Now he has went down hill and will only pee on the potty a few times a day the rest of the time he pees on him self.. And he as also went down hill in listening and hes starting to try and back talk.. I dont know whats going on or how to get him out of this he used to be so good about everything... Help please lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's pretty normal. Don't stress. Kids take a few steps forward and then a bit back. He'll come good again, just be patient with him, always kind and supportive. Don't make a big deal when he has an accident. The thing is, while he was concentrating on toilet training, he does it well, but now he's moved on and is learning other things, he sometimes forgets to go potty, ya know? Don't worry about it or make him feel guilty about it.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:25 AM on May. 13, 2011

• The terrible two's start at the age of three lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't have an answer as to why he is doing this, but I can tell you that my 3 yr old daughter is doing the exact same thing as your son. It must be all a part of them figuring things out and themselves out. I try my best not to make a big deal out of her "accidents" but reassure her its really great of her when she does it in the potty and give her tons of praise when she does go on the potty. I've also started asking her a lot more often if she needs to go to the bathroom (like almost every 10 minutes). Lots of positive reinforcement and praising help. As for the talking back and not listening, try to be stearn but not crazy about it. I find it truly helps when I get down to her level and make her make eye contact with me and talk to her in a calm but steady tone when she's starting to go wild on me. It brings her back down to earth and I usually follow with a hug as my praise for her calming down. Hope this helps! :)
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 12:34 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My son did that with potty training several times... i just didn't push him with it, and eventually he came around and stopped having accidents when it was completely on his time...
    As for the not listening and such, he's probably testing his limits. Be firm and consistent and eventually, I'll bet he gets better about it...
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 1:29 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't have an exact answer for you but it sounds like this behavior is pretty common. Sometimes they are just busy with the world around them and get lazy or are struggling between the independence of a big kid and the little kid who likes being cared for. My 3 year old tries to tune me out all the time and recently has been on the bossy side. I can't tell you I have found the perfect solution but I do get a better response when I am at eye level holding his head to face me in one direction and with all distractions like tv turned off. When we had the accidents going on we started timing potty runs (with much resentment). I find that certain times of the day, like right before bed I can get alot out of what is going on in that silly little head by patiently asking questions, doing role play with stuffed toys and we have actually been able to talk through some of these stumbling blocks by understanding motives and reassuring.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't know .my DD's never did this once they started using the potty they never had this issue, maybe he is just forgetting to go until the last minute and that is why he is having accidents, maybe try reminding him every half hour or so and give prizes (if you don't already) for when he goes potty, and as far as talking back that is normal a lot of kids do it at this age , try to ignore the bad behavior and he will see he isn't getting a rise out of you and do it less.. but when potty training ,accidents will happen and a lot of times there will be set backs, he seems normal just give him some time and don't push it to hard cause he will less likely want to go ,
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:13 AM on May. 16, 2011