How do you feel about this doll? Would you buy your daughter one?

http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/05/10/kathie-lee-suckles-breastfeeding-baby-doll-on-today-video/

honestly.. I see nothing wrong with the doll, and I have to agree with this part of the article, " actually think playing with this breastfeeding doll could help balance the view of women’s bodies ....Our society is not fully comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding. Breasts are seen primarily as sexual organs, so when women use them to feed their children, it feels awkward, obscene, even wrong. This weirdness is why breastfeeding in public is so controversial, and why giving little girls breastfeeding dolls might not be such a bad idea."

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:25 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i don't have a daughter just saying if it were my daughter no

i only ask because if you were to have a girl and you got her dolls, she would be practicing being a mama whether it was a bottlefed or breastfed babydoll. So it would be unavoidable for them to not practice being mama's at a young age. Girls love to play mom!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My daughters saw me breast feeding ther baby brother so they would not have needed that doll.
    But, I have no problem with it. I would rather they see a breastfeeding DOLL than a real woman with her boob hanging out in public.

Sorry but I think that is bad taste. If they are not mature and tactful enough to cover up, then I object. I never let anyone see my boob when I breast fed . But women are suddenly getting militant about public breast feeding and saying they can expose themselves. Nuts!Exhibitionists!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:34 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't buy the doll not because I disagree with it but because my daughter could practice breastfeeding on a $10 doll just as easily as this probably more expensive doll. I breastfed my regular dolls when I was a little girl...all i needed was my boobs...lol. Breastfeeding is best:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:31 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I think it depends on the childs age and maturity level taken into consideration, as well as how you are bringing up the child. If you are a more open and natural mother type of person and you have a smart understanding 8-10 year old daughter then why not. The other instance I can see where this might actually come in handy is in preparation for a new baby to join the family that you plan on breastfeeding. This way the new big sister (or even brother) can start to comprehend what you will be doing with the new baby. Its a case by case, parent by parent, and child by child situation. It might be well suited for one child and their family and not so great for another child and family.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 12:28 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I have no problem with the doll at all.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:28 AM on May. 13, 2011

• no! i believe in breastfeeding but my daughter doesn't need to learn to be a mommy that soon

so your daughter doesn't have dolls?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• No, only because I think they should be kids while they can and I don't need to teach her that right now. If she wanted the doll I might consider it but I would not just go out and get it. I see nothing wrong with breastfeeding I breastfeed my kids. When my oldest was 2 and I had my middle daughter My oldest use to breastfeed Elmo and I didn’t see anything wrong with it but to go out and buy her a doll which purpose is to teach it... I just think she's too young for that
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 12:33 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My kids used to model bf'ing with other dolls and toys- even my son. My kids were all ebf and they saw me nursing their siblings and it was a natural behaviour that they imitated in play. That being said, I wouldn't buy this doll because my girls are not interested in dolls, and it's a very expensive product considering the fact that my kids essentially did the same thing with stuffed animals and Transformers! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:51 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I have a son so it isn't something I will ever buy. My nieces had regular dolls and pretended to nurse them don't think a little girl needs a special doll for that. They were very cute about it and would lift up the bottom of their shirts and nursed discreetly like their mom.lol

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 9:22 AM on May. 13, 2011

• gibsongirl, my daughter (4yrs) does talk about breastfeeding. Its the only why she has ever seen babies fed. Why would you "die a little inside"?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:17 AM on May. 13, 2011