What is a good wine?

I am not an alcohol drinker. I think every tastes bad, but what kind of wine or champagne is not to bad?

Ashley-England

Asked by Ashley-England at 12:25 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Depends on what you like. If you like sweet wines, rieslings are usually good. My favorite sparkling sweet wine is a Moscato di Asti, which has light bubbles with an almost honey-like flavor. If you like drier wines, a chardonnay is crisp but acidic. that's why they're best chilled.

If you like bolder flavors, I recommend going with reds. Reds are dry, and the tannin in them will make your mouth literally feel dried out. But they have richer flavors and textures. I got into wine with a pinot noir, which has a nice, balanced flavor. I have since moved onto Zinfandels, which have a very bold, strong flavor, and a smooth texture. A good compromise is a Carbernet, which have solid flavors, but aren't overwhelming.

There are lots of very good, inexpensive wines, especially at Trader Joe's. But a good brand that is reliable is Clos Du Bois-- I have found their wines to be consistently well bottled.

Enjoy!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My personal favorite is a nice, smooth Chardonnay - Sunstone is great. For something light and crisp, go for a Sauvingnon Blanc (EOS Estates is good) or if you like white but a little zingier, try a Viognier (any of them). For reds, a nice Shiraz from Australia will give you spicy, smoky, fruity flavors - yum! Nice one is Yellow Tail Shiraz or domestically a nice winery is Rideaux (Santa Ynez CA). Everyone's taste is different though, you'll really have to try a few to find out what you like - and don't worry about ratings or things like that - just try and like what you like. For Champagne in my opinion you can't beat Veuve Cliquot - it's reasonably priced and is light, fruity (not sweet), and soft. There are lots of other sparkling wines - Prosecco, Asti Spumanti (sweet), you can find really good champagnes and sparkling wines that are reasonably priced and taste good - it depends on what you're looking for. Salud!
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2011

• People have a tendency to start their road to wine appreciation with a Dry White, move to a Dry Red, then gain appreciation for a Sweeter Red, and finally appreciate a Sweet White.

Champaign is quite sweet but the bubbles can make it more palatable for the uninitiated.

Is there a winery close by? They have tastings that are a good place to start :)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 6:18 AM on May. 27, 2011