Schedules?

Do you and your children go about your day based on a schedule? I stay home with my 2 kids and I have never used a schedule... we eat breakfast,lunch and dinner about the same times everyday but other than that we just go about our day however it takes us

Kats86

Asked by Kats86 at 12:34 AM on May. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do try, just to have some predictability. I've noticed that doing things on a consistent basis allows him to get better naps, and there's no fighting at night about bedtime. He knows that when I ask him to pick out a sleepytime story, that the end of the story means it's time for sleep.

Of course, we're not completely rigid about schedules, either. I allow for 1-2 hour variations here and there, but do my best to stick to a routine.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Mine are at the age where they dont take naps anymore and they do go to bed a certain times. But thats about it. I like to keep them interested and not bored we do alot of different things through out the week
    Kats86

Comment by Kats86 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on May. 13, 2011

• We do it pretty much the same as you Beeakfest, lunch, dinner and bedtime are around the same every day but that's about it. I like to see what the day brings,
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 12:51 AM on May. 13, 2011

• We haven't really ever followed a schedule (I'm a SAHM with a 3 and 4 year old who are 11 1/2 months apart), but I think that our lives would be MUCH less hectic if we did. My son was a preemie and while he was in the NICU they tried to have him on one, but he actually really struggled to thrive while on it, but as soon as they took him off (or were more flexible with it) he started gaining weight and eating better, so we just never really used a schedule once he came home. Now that he's almost 5 though, we're really struggling with "order" in our household and I worry that it's going to make things really difficult when he starts school. I think that some basic "outline" of a schedule is a good idea, but I DO still think you have to have some flexibility with it. (Sorry, not sure if that makes much sense...)
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 12:54 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My 2 kids have always been on somewhat of a schedule more when they were babies. They usually eat meals around the same time everyday and they have their bedtime schedule, but if we wanna do something we do it.
    Ashley-England

Answer by Ashley-England at 1:01 AM on May. 13, 2011

• We have a fairly set routine. Things happen at a predictable time so the kids know what to expect - I have a 2 1/2 yo and a 10 month old at home, plus 3 older ones that go to school. We aren't rigid and sometimes things throw a wrench in our plans, but basically we do the same stuff every day. With my older ones, even when they weren't napping anymore they still had a "quiet time" after lunch in their rooms. They never fussed because it had always been.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There are certain things that happen at the same times every day- breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtimes, etc. We just build our days around those times.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:46 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I try to, with moderate success.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:50 AM on May. 13, 2011