Donating a Kidney.... what is the moral thing?

If a husband needs a kidney is it moral to take one from

1) his teenage child?

2) his 20 something child?

3) his wife if they have minor children?

4) his sibling if they have minor children?

5) one of his parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Whomever is capable and is willing.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:36 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My husband donated his kidney to his younger brother. Incredibly both his parents and 3 or his 4 siblings were 100% matches and the other sibling a 94% match. My husband took the burden off of the rest of the family of trying to figure out who would donate the kidney because he was the only one who was single (we weren't married or engaged at the time), had no children and was his own boss. His parents were in their 60s, the other brothers and sister were married and had children. So, I think whoever firstly WANTS to donate the kidney and secondly will have the "easiest" life situation (i.e. single? job with the most understanding/flexibility for time off, etc.). It shouldn't be about who it should be "taken" from. Taking the other approach may help somewhat in making the deciding factor.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 12:40 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't see it as a problem from a morality standpoint when the person is capable of providing consent. I would find it far more reprehensible to take it from someone who was unwilling to donate, regardless of age and familial status, than from someone who wanted to donate. Had I been asked to do that for my father, even when I was only 15, I would have done so in a heartbeat. I don't believe, however, that 15 is considered an age capable of providing consent for such a medical procedure in this country.

If the boy you're referring to is 18, and he wants to, I don't see anything immoral about it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:41 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Why not?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• If the teenager is willing, what is wrong with that?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:39 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Who ever is a match and is willing to do it. It's a gift to receive one, no matter who it's from some people wait there whole lives for an organ
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 12:40 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't see anything immoral about it - as long as the person donating the kidney is informed, healthy, and willing to provide it - most kidney donors have to be age of consent anyway. What do you think is immoral about it?
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 12:49 AM on May. 13, 2011

• So you see nothing immoral about asking a teenager to give up a kidney for their parent. For a man nearing 50 to take a kidney from a boy who is not even out of high school. Nothing at all immoral about that?????
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I guess the morality is that it is MAJOR surgery... anything could go wrong. Besides that you are leaving the donor with only one kidney... and who knows what is going to happen during the remainder of their life.

A teen, a 20 something has yet to start really living their life... wouldnt it be more moral to take the kidney from an older generation?

Heaven forbid the wife donate and something happen to her... now the kids would be left with only one parent who may or may not have an issue with the new kidney.

i just can not bring myself to ask for a kidney from my child or my sibs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:05 AM on May. 13, 2011

• i dont think a parent should even think of taking there childs kidney because they havent even lived yet what happens if the child needs that other kidney and another thing a parent already lived its life but a child has not i dont care if i was die and my child said take my kidney i will say no cause i love my child to much to ever put threw risk im not selfish like that i think if a parent takes a child kidney een if they say yea but that will be not only selfish but immoral
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 1:13 AM on May. 13, 2011