3 y/o's weight..

I am short and chunky, have been my whole life. I've been terrified from day one that my daughter is going to have to go through the same thing as me, with my weight. I try really hard to keep her diet healthy, good foods, very few sugars and fats, and active daily. The thing is, she is 38 inches tall and almost 40 lbs. She has a little pot-belly, but the rest of her is average sized, arms, legs, butt, etc. I just don't want to worry about her weight.

Tips? Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is really a question for the pediatrician. You don't want to make any drastic or lifestyle changes without consulting him first. If he isn't concerned, then I wouldn't be either.

Kids are kids. There's not really a diet that you can put them on. Omit all of the processed food, refined sugars, etc. Make sure she gets plenty of exercise during the day (at least an hour outside) and limit TV use to little or none. As far as I know, that's about all you can do anyway, especially given the fact she is so young.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:03 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Sometimes it's just her build. Be careful in limiting fats in small children, though. They need healthy fats for brain development.

Could you write out a typical day's menu for her, including amounts? Maybe keep a food journal for her and record EVERYTHING she eats and the amounts she's eating?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:04 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Also, I wanted to say, that changing YOUR body image will help give her confidence. See yourself as beautiful and if she looks the same she will see HERself as beautiful. And you know what? Short, thick girls are hot! Everyone likes different body types, my brother has a baby girl now specifically because he was overwhelmingly attracted to a short girl with a rounder figure. She's freakin' gorgeous, too!

We do not all look like Victoria's Secret models. There are 3 billion women on the planet who look like us and only 8 who look like supermodels lol. Start looking for beauty in yourself so you can pass that on to your daughter.

I'm super tall and broad-shouldered. I had terrible body image for a long, long time. But I look at my little girl, who is also very tall and think "Wow, what a beauty!"
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:08 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, she still has baby fat to shed. I never had this problem with my kids, but my niece was super chunky until she was about 4. She is 8 now, and she has lost every bit of her baby fat, and is now fairly thin. She is also short in stature..she is the shortest in her class, so that wont play a role in her weight im sure. Give it a couple more years before you worry about it at all. :)
    spinelessrose

Answer by spinelessrose at 1:16 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Genetics is sometimes just a curse we carry. Diet isn't the only answer and a little chub now is not the end or even an indicator that weight will be an issue in the long run. Sounds like you already encourage healthy eating but what about exercise? Getting her involved in something like sports or dance or gym is a great way to help her build her motorskills, encourage teamwork and set her on a path to find activities she enjoys that will help her maintain a healthy weight in a posiitive way. Make sure you never reward her with food. Don't get too freaked out just try your best to set her up for success. I was chubby as a child but in my teens the peer pressure made me empower myself to stay trim. Getting too hung up on your own body image or hers will definitely backfire. I personally don't go to the gym but I lost a great deal of weight last summer by kicking myself in but to get out and exercise by playing with my son.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:07 AM on May. 13, 2011

• She isn't quite three yet (May 28th) and nothing around here accepts kids under three. She will be doing dance and soccer this fall, which I think will help a lot. Right now she is in preschool two days a week, and they are outside 2 hours a day, plus M-F I take her to the park every day for an hour. Weekends are pretty busy, so I can't always get her out and playing, but we definitely try.

I don't think she is going to be short, she has always been in the high % for her height, and dad is very tall. I just worry about her actual weight. I will definitely bring it up at her next dr. appointment (the end of the month) to make sure we're pretty well on track.

Thanks for all of the great answers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on May. 13, 2011