Anyone else's husband/SO do this??

I'm a SAHM to almost 4 and almost 5 year olds who are "high spirited" and I spend about 75% of my day trying to keep them occupied. My hubby feels like since I stay at home it's my job to do all the housework, which I agree with, to an extent. I have no problem doing the majority of it, but occasionally, I feel like he should do SOMETHING to help out. For example, our trashcan in the kitchen needed changed. Instead of changing it, he stacked stuff on top of the lid, shoved it in the sides, or put it on the counter right next to the can. I had been trying to keep the kids from destroying the house/hurting themselves or each other most of the day, which was why I hadn't changed it. Is it really too much to ask for him to take the initiative and do something like that himself, without me asking? I hate making a huge deal about it to him, because then he accuses me of nagging. Would it be nagging to say something???

jess_merrick874

Asked by jess_merrick874 at 1:19 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Yeah it would be nagging. But no it wouldn't be too much for him to take it out himself. Especially if he's stacking stuff next to it. Thats just being lazy.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:21 AM on May. 13, 2011

• im in the same boat
    momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 1:24 AM on May. 13, 2011

• OMGooness! You sound exactly like me!! I am also a SAHM of a 4 and 5 yr old. I have had the exact same problem. Finally me and my husband came to an agreement that taking out the trash and grilling are about his only household duties. And sometimes he will get cocky with me about it esp. if i havent done laundry that day, he will say "look i got all my chores done before you" lol He has stayed home and watched the kids alone before so he knows that its not an easy task.
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 1:27 AM on May. 13, 2011

• its naggy but i think he is being lazy i agree with kats86 maybe talking bought it like a chore that he has to do i told my husband thats his dutie and he dose it lol
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 1:32 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Whether or not it would be nagging depends upon how you present it. If you just badger him and whine, well, that would probably qualify as nagging. Nobody likes to be talked down to. But, if you are approaching him in a polite way, explaining that it would really help you out to get everything else done if he could take some initiative and do little things when he sees they need doing, then things will run better and everyone will be happier, he'd be an ass to take exception.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 1:40 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I think that he should help u out at least by taking out the trash without u asking him but hey thats how some guys are!!!
    gta4girl

Answer by gta4girl at 2:14 AM on May. 13, 2011

• My hubby works out of town but one time he got a job in town and it felt the sameway. i simply asked him for a little help and taking out the trash was mostly it cuz its hard going out to the dumpter with a baby inside alone..but now hes like, why dont u ever take out the trash? which i do..hes just not here enough to see it lol when hes home, he does it. i dont see it as nagging, you just want some help
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 2:45 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Um.. it is not nagging to ask your husband to pull his own weight around the house chore wise. Does he not realize taking care of two children is like TWO full time jobs. Trying to clean the entire house along with that? You are amazing mama!
    I would sit down and talk to him about contributing more chore-wise before you start to resent him.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 2:59 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't think a married woman should ever have to take the trash out...or wash the dishes after dinner...those are thing a husband should do even if he is tired from working all day.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 5:21 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Screw whether it's nagging, you see a full can, you empty it, you don't cram more crap in there like an idiot so the bag splits open and you have a disaster to clean up!

He's an adult and this ain't rocket science. A husband and wife work as a team, ALWAYS.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:11 AM on May. 13, 2011