Please no judging...

I gave birth to my son just 2 days before my 18th birthday and we were both on Medicaid at the time.
I was breast-feeding my son for a while when the health clinic called me for my 6 week check-up... at this appointment,
they decided I was to be on birth control and told me to choose which method I would use.
The pill they put me on decreased my milk and a month later I was dry.

My question is.... was anyone else pressured by their doctor to have birth control right after having a baby? Because I still don't feel that it was right of them to do so.

I just read an article about breast-feeding and I remembered that close bond and have always wished I didn't have to take the pill, so I could have done so longer to give my son the best health.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on May. 13, 2011 in Health

• If you are on Medicaid you should have a caseworker not directly ti8ed to the doctor. Check with your Medicaid case worker to see what can be done. The mangement of aid to teen-age moms is sometimes sketchy at best and you need to find an advocate official or unofficial ASAP
    jazzymom190

Answer by jazzymom190 at 1:56 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I was never pressured, I did have to stop when my baby was 6 weeks I got sick and had to take meds. that I could not take when I was beeastfeeding.
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 1:57 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I don't really feel like I was pressured.... they did ask what I wanted to be on though. Idk, I probably gave them clues I didn't want another anytime soon (back then, I mean). My doctor DID give me the Mini (I think is the name/ nickname), the pill with only one hormone, instead of 2. She said that kind wouldn't affect my supply...
    Maybe they just assumed you would want on something. They should have taken you BFing into account though! :(
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:01 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Yeah, this of course was 17 months ago, but that article brought up that thought/question. At the time, my ex had already left me for another girl who was even younger than I was, so I definately didnt need the pill
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 AM on May. 13, 2011

• There is special birth control that you should've been on that wouldn't have interfered with your breast milk production. And there are also medicines to help you make more milk that should've been offered to you.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 2:10 AM on May. 13, 2011

• I at least got a good 3-4 months in...that's better than nothing I've been told...
    I had a very good production in the beginning. I don't remember which pill it was
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:16 AM on May. 13, 2011

• you think that's bad? i just delivered my son & when they brought me into the recovery room, the doc said i should get my tubes tied. it was my third child and yes, i was young. but that suggestion was offensive & inappropriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on May. 13, 2011

• no, but i was verbally attacked at the hospital when i told the the woman that comes to talk to mothers about breastfeeding that i would not be doing so. not only was it so painful that i cried immensely, but i was not able to produce enough milk. although i'm usually a very vocal person, i was still kind of out from all the drugs they'd been pumping me with so i didn't know what to say. my mom told her she better get the hell out of the room before the drugs left my system and i made her cry. i guess since i was young, sixteen, she thought that she could bully me and speak down to me. the iv they gave me paralyzed my arm so i was on heavy pain killers for the next three months anyways and would not have been able to breast feed. i wish i remembered that lady's name or face now so that i could give her a piece of my mind.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 2:59 AM on May. 13, 2011

• nah, I wanted birth control. I can't stand the thought of having kids less than 3 years apart. I need time to start one child into preK before i have another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Don't feel bad. Your child is growing up healthy I presume. Is not the end of the world if your child is not BF.
    About the pills doctors "market" the pills meaning that they have to show them to prospects customers. Medicaid pays pharmaceutical companies more than their 80% percent revenues. This can tell you why a doctor as soon as he sees a Medicaid patient he will talked you into taking them. Another thing if a doctor prescribes a good number of BC pills pharmaceutical companies give thanks to the doctor by sending the doctor and family to free getaways vacations. One little secret every time you go see ANY doctor bring someone with you. Liability issues will restraint the doctor from doing something unethical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on May. 13, 2011